Identical Field Titles

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Chris Medeiros
    Participant

Can a Form handle fields with identical Field Titles?

I’m tracking the weight of a product as it cures over 6 weeks. My current Layout is set up as:

Week 1: Thu, Jul 09, 2020
    Weight 1: 6 oz

Week 2: Thu, Jul 16, 2020
    Weight 2: 5.9 oz

I’d prefer to simply have “Weight” displayed for each week, rather than Weight 1, Weight 2, etc.

Would there be an issue applying the same Field Title for each of these fields?

March 16, 2020 at 1:02 PM #39887

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Tap Forms internally has a field ID for each field so the name itself doesn’t matter beyond your own potential confusion.

I’d actually suggest what you might want to use is a table field to track this with maybe week, date and weight as fields in it. Then you just add to the table as you do your measurements and you get a table interaction for your data.

An alternative would be to use a Link to Form field and put those three fields into another form. The advantage for that would be to do charting on the data as I believe at this point the table field doesn’t have a charting capability, but you can chart form data.

March 16, 2020 at 1:33 PM #39888

Chris Medeiros
    Participant

Sam,

Thank you for your answer and your recommendations. Great suggestions. I’ll have to experiment with those ideas.

Have a great week.

March 16, 2020 at 6:56 PM #39891

Brendan
    Keymaster

A drawback with having fields with the same name is that if you want to do any kind of Saved Searches with them, you won’t be able to identify the different fields in the Search Rules. For Saved Searches, Tap Forms stores the field name within the search predicate. So they need to be uniquely named for that.

March 16, 2020 at 11:46 PM #39895

Chris Medeiros
    Participant

Thanks Brendan. I will refrain from using duplicate Field Titles for just the reasons you stated. With your input and Sam’s, I was able to figure out a better solution.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.