iCloud sync

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

DaveFF
    Participant

Hi
    Anybody else still having issues with iCloud sync. Some times it works, some times it just does not seem to pick up that changes have been made on either device. Definitely can’t depend on he data being accurate. I have tried all the fixes between both the iPad2 and iPhone4S. Currently running ios5. Uninstalled, reinstalled, checked settings, things go ok for a while and then it fails. Reset sync does not work. Go through the install/uninstall loop again. About to give up on it.

October 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM #5447

tim89531
    Participant

Me too,
    My iphone 5 syncs only with itself, not recognising the other 2 devices (macs) which recognise each other and sync well.
    tried all the solutions suggested, running latest software etc

tim

October 12, 2012 at 3:15 AM #5448

GSCpro
    Participant

Hi
    sync from iPhone to the Desktop app is working – but its not working the other way around. The iPad app is ignored at all. Anybody a hint?
    Gabriel

October 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM #5449

nick86
    Participant

I agree sometimes iCloud just acts weird. Specially when I try to use it sync from desktop to iPhone

October 13, 2012 at 5:59 AM #5451

Roo
    Participant

I’ve been using iCloud sync for last 3 weeks with Tap Forms. Sometimes it takes several days to sync and one times it only half syncs even though it shows up as having synced. I put it own to Apple teething problems. Not to be relied on I’m afraid. I still ping to rely on Dropbox.

October 13, 2012 at 6:08 PM #5452

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve submitted a new update to Apple today (version 3.0.2 for iPhone and iPad) which has some iCloud sync improvements. You’ll be able to see the progress of the files being uploaded from the device and being downloaded to your other iOS devices. I haven’t added that to the Mac version just yet. Plus there was a bug which prevented some fields from being synced properly. For example, I had a field on my iPhone which I had deleted, but after I synced it with my iPad, the field was still there on the iPad. This scenario is fixed in the next update. It may also improve other scenarios too.

I also had an issue where I couldn’t get my new iPhone 5 to see any of the other devices in the list of registered devices. It only saw itself. The solution for me was to go into Settings > iCloud, then tap on the Delete Account button. When it asked me if I wanted to delete the files on my iPhone 5, I said yes. I knew it would re-download the files from iCloud once I signed back in. So then I signed back in and then almost immediately I saw the other registered devices appear in my list.

So you may want to try that too if you can only see the device itself in the list of registered devices.

And with the new progress indicators in version 3.0.2, it will make it much easier to understand what’s going on instead of iCloud just being a black hole.

When you see the message “Pushing Changes to iCloud”, what’s happening is Tap Forms is building up a sync file with all the changes since the last time you synced. Then that file gets stored in the local device’s Mobile Documents folder. Behind the scenes, the iCloud daemon will see that file and then start uploading it, even if you’re not running Tap Forms. That may take a while, so now you’ll be able to see that upload progress. And then on the other devices, you’ll be able to see the download progress as that file which was just uploaded to iCloud gets downloaded.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM #5484

larryh
    Participant

I am using the latest version, but cannot get the desktop version to sync with any records posted with the iPad. It works the other way. Have reset several times, waited several days. I get the correct sync dates but files simply do not sync between the two. I appreciate that iCloud may be a difficult issue – can work through this until it works OK. This is a test environment for my client anyway.

October 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM #5485

larryh
    Participant

In response to my own post, I went through the reset process once again, and this time I can add a record on the desktop and it synched; then added a record on the iPad, and it synced. I did this several times previously with no results, but this time it worked. Will continue to test and report. TIA.

October 31, 2012 at 10:40 PM #5501

Brendan
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update Larry.

I have some improvements to iCloud sync coming down the pipe soon. The iOS version is also using slightly newer iCloud sync code than the Mac version right now. I submitted an update for the Mac version a couple weeks ago, but it hasn’t been approved yet.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.