iCloud sync issue

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Lenny Warren
    Participant

Hi there,

Everything was working fine with iCloud sync until today. I normally add records on my iphone and it syncs to my mac.

Today, new records synced but not with pics. The text fields synced, just not pics.

Would this be an issue with icloud? Ive tried resyncing, etc, no joy.

Ive had issues with icloud in the past, is IBM cloudant or Apache Couch db more reliable?

Any suggestions?

Lenny

February 5, 2019 at 2:15 PM #33668

Brendan
    Keymaster

Try closing and re-opening the documents to see if that triggers a sync of the photos.

IBM Cloudant only allows you to have up to 1 GB of storage. So if that meets your needs, then it’s a good solution. Their sync is pretty reliable as long as you don’t try to sync any individual records that are more than 10 MB each (including photos and file attachments). Larger than that and you get an error from their servers. Apache CouchDB is great because it doesn’t have any of those restrictions. But you either have to run it on your own server (or Mac) or install it on some other server like Amazon AWS. There’s instructions in the online user manual on how to install it on your Mac.

February 5, 2019 at 2:57 PM #33670

Lenny Warren
    Participant

Thanks Brendan, no joy with iCloud, but I go through phases of love/hating Apple.

I’ve setup Apache CouchDB on my local Mac and it’s working smoothly.

Any drawbacks to using Apache CouchDB on my local machine? It satys on all the time so that’s ok, but wonder if I could setup on Amazon AWS. I use S3, but it’s really complicate, cxan’t even see Apache CouchDB on my contriol panel.

From a relieabilirty.performance point of view, what is best?

Current database is about 700Mb

Cheers,
    Lenny

February 5, 2019 at 9:12 PM #33671

Brendan
    Keymaster

Apache CouchDB is quite reliable. It’s the native sync service that’s built-in to the Couchbase Lite database engine that Tap Forms uses.

To get it setup with Amazon, I recommend going through bitnami.com

https://bitnami.com/stack/couchdb/cloud

It basically sets up CouchDB for you.

Although once you get that setup then you have to either setup an SSH tunnel to get access to the database stored in AWS, or open up the “Elastic” IP addresses they give you to the public to be able to connect to them directly. But if you do that, then you’ll want to use SSL, so you’ll need a certificate. It can get complicated.

I’ve done it with tunnelling in and then using http://localhost:5984 to connect on the Apache CouchDB area in Sync Settings in Tap Forms.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.