iCloud sync incomplete

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Eddzo
    Participant

I made a quick form on my iphone, selected iCloud Sync for the form.

Half of it showed up on my desktop and ipad.
    I would click on the sync logo at the top of the app under tools tab and it would only blink and not really sync.

I disabled iCloud sync on my iphone, deleted the 1/2 sync’d from from the desktop and ipad, the clicked iCloud sync again, and the form showed up on the desktop and ipad… downloaded them again and its complete.

Why does it do this? iCloud sync is not 100% yet.

How do I beam the entire form, rather than just one record?
    Anyone?

January 23, 2018 at 3:46 AM #27096

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Eddzo,

Did iCloud have time to complete its first full sync from your original device before you enabled iCloud sync on the other device? Perhaps it just didn’t complete it. But then when you deleted the document and enabled iCloud sync again, it had time to complete the upload from your Mac.

January 24, 2018 at 9:19 PM #27107

Eddzo
    Participant

How do I tell?

I basically made a new form on the iPhone
    Went to the enable iCloud sync button
    Built the form, modified it, messed with it for a while.

Tired to fire of the iPad version of it and it was half of my form
    Went to the desktop version and it was the same half.

Its like the phone didn’t upload the entire form or something.
    I was hitting the Sync icon at the top, it would blink but they wouldn’t sync

This has happened several times with images as well.
    I’ll be in the field taking images and gathering data, then I’d get back and forms aren’t fully sync’d

January 26, 2018 at 3:07 PM #27132

Eddzo
    Participant

It appears as if the download option isn’t happening when I click the sync button on the iPhone,,,, it just blinks and says it “uploaded” the contents a while back but no download….
    the images on my iPhone are outdated, the ipad has the current information and it’s uploaded it,,,, the iPhone won’t bring it down…

Like it uploads but doesn’t download

Confirmed it’s the same database number in the enable iCloud sync .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 26, 2018 at 8:40 PM #27136

Brendan
    Keymaster

Are you using the latest versions of Tap Forms 5?

Try using the Send Document function to send a copy of the document from the device that has all the data to the other device. Then start the sync process from there.

You may want to try disabling sync, tapping the Delete from iCloud button. Then enable sync on ONE device only. Once Tap Forms finishes uploading, tap the close button to close the document, then open it again.

Then wait for Tap Forms to finish downloading from iCloud.

Then send that document over to your other device.

Now on the other device, enable iCloud sync. Then when it’s done, close that document, then open it up again. Wait for it to finish downloading again.

Once you’ve done that, you should be in sync.

Try making a small change such as changing a form’s icon and see if that gets synced across.

Hopefully that’ll help.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 5, 2018 at 9:30 AM #27294

Eddzo
    Participant

Yes, I’m using the latest versions of tap forms.

I’m still having issues,
    I update the ipad with a picture of a receipt, it says last uploaded on such a date.
    I go to my laptop to see it and everything is there but only shows an image placeholder and no image.

I keep hitting sync and nothing…

Is there a way to add something that says, sync “complete” on the iOS devices to ensure everything is sitting on the cloud before trying to download it on the Laptop?

Something like that?
    How much of a lag time or should we wait to make sure the upload is sitting on the iCloud before requesting a download from the server iCloud on the laptop?

Is the issue a timing thing?
    I had to delete the form and re-download it btw.

February 5, 2018 at 1:16 PM #27295

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Eddzo,

What macOS version do you have? I’m wondering if it’s the issue where images captured on iOS are in HEIF format, but a macOS version prior to High Sierra can’t display those images? If you click the download button, is there an image there that saves to your computer?

February 6, 2018 at 4:03 AM #27297

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I am suffering the same issue with record transfer. I had to moved from Cloudant back to iCloud sync. My database is holding around 2600 documents and each doc has an image. This is giving a db size of around 1GB in total.

I do use TapForms only on iPhone and iPad. Starting with iPhone and my TapForms DB first I delete the iCloud DB sync and started over:
    – iCloud Sync turned on (iphone only)
    – waiting around 1h to complete the upload (Sync Settings: Last Upload….)
    – close the iPhone app
    – open the iPad app
    – enabled the iCloud Syn on iPad
    – waited another hour to complete
    – all data available.

BUT: if I create another document (does not matter if iPad or iPhone), the new record won’t be synced between both devices, even the “Sync Settings” are saying “Last Upload/Download)…. Even a deletion/change won’t be synced to the other device.

Is the culprit the size of the database? If yes, is there any automated way to reduce the pictures sizes?

Tim

February 6, 2018 at 4:52 AM #27299

Leo
    Participant

I had this problem too when changing back to iCloud from Cloudant.

My solution was to upload the database I wanted to sync from the Master (my macbook) to all other devices with the share (airdrop) button.

1. delete all databases on the other devices.
    2. turn on iCloud sync on the master
    3 transfer the database to all other devices, notice icloudsync is on.\
    4. let all devices sync the data over. This may take a while.
    5. you may get a footprint of the database in some or all your devices, i.e. the icon with a cloud in it. Delete this one.

This is probably not the most correct way to get things done but it works, remember, you’ll have to be patient because all data from all devices is send en received, this also depends on the speed of your device.

February 6, 2018 at 5:57 PM #27301

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

There is a way to reduce the size of the photos, but only on the Mac version. Do you have a Mac? On the Photo field’s properties view there is a “Resize All Photos” button which will let you do that. You can pick a size and a quality and let Tap Forms resize all the images for you. It can save a lot of space.

February 7, 2018 at 1:15 AM #27302

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Brendan,

I am able to hijack my wifes Mac. But this leads me to the question about the pricing for your Mac Store App. To be honest I am happy with my ipad/iphone version and do not want to pay 50€ only to resize my pictures in a one time effort. I see your free trial, is this able to do the resizing of all my 2600 pictures/data records? Or is this free trial limited in data records? If not possible is there a way to get a small discount on the Mac Version?

One wish for the ipad/iphone app:
    – Automation for resizing of photos

Thanks so far,
    Tim

February 7, 2018 at 1:51 AM #27303

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Eddzo,

just to refer to your issue. Finally I was able to solve my own iCloud sync issue in the following way:

1. Delete your DBs from every device, except of your Master DB (= your iPhone)
    2. Disable iCloud Sync (on iPhone)
    3. Delete iCloud Data (on iPhone)
    4. Turn on again iCloud Sync (on iPhone) and wait until upload is finished.
    5. On your iPhone on main screen (the document section), select the menu and choose “Send Document”
    6. Now select your DB and send it via AirDrop to you second device (iPad, Mac)
    7. Wait until finished, the DB will be automatically import and open on your second device.
    8. Close TapForm on your Master (on iPhone)
    9. On your second device turn on the iCloud sync and wait for finishing this task (this should be fast, as no data was changed)
    10. Now add new/change a records. It will be immediately transfered to iCloud and vice Versa uploaded to the other device (latest after opening Tapforms again)
    11. Proceed with steps 5-9 for any other device (eg. your Mac)

No issues should be occuring with half sized pictures as you have a clean iCloud sync.

Tim

February 7, 2018 at 1:55 AM #27304

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

The only limitation of the Mac trial version is it lasts 10 days. Otherwise all features are enabled. So you can use it to resize your photos if you like, then send that document over to your iOS devices.

If you had the older Tap Forms 3.5 for Mac installed then you can get a 50% discount on Tap Forms 5 for Mac.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 7, 2018 at 2:07 AM #27305

Anonymous
    Inactive

okidoki, I will check this out :)

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.