iCloud sync crash on version 3.9

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

iCloud sync stopped working with the last update: When chosing “iCloud sync” from the tools menu the small black “checking iCloud” window appears and nothing more happens. If I leave the app by pressing the Home button and re-enter it again it crashes after a few seconds.

I did different test (including all available database maintenance), but in the end I deleted the Tap Forms app, removed the corresponding data from iCloud, re-installed the app and restored my databases from a backup. To no avail: still iCloud sync is not working.

I’m on iOS 8.0.2 on an iPad Air, iCloud Drive is activated.

October 1, 2014 at 9:06 PM #10967

Oliver
    Participant

I have the same Problem

October 2, 2014 at 2:37 AM #10974

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m still trying to figure out why this is happening.

Do you guys have lots of photos and files in iCloud in Tap Forms?

I’m trying to find a common thread as I am unable to produce the same results, but I’m working on it.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 2, 2014 at 2:39 AM #10975

The whole database is 73 MB including 70 photos.

October 2, 2014 at 6:36 AM #10978

Oliver
    Participant

I don’t know exactly. But I do not have Many picture, less than 5.

October 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM #10982

carlosMAP
    Participant

I have also the same problem, but only in the iPad. Tap Forms works right in my iPhone. Both devices are in the latest 8.0.2 iOS version, use the same iCloud account and the same 79 Mb size, 400 photos, database. I think the problem is not related to database size, free storage space or number of photos. Free space for my iCloud account is 9,7 Gb, my 64 Gb iPad 4 has 37,6 Gb free, my 32 Gb iPhone 5 has 2,8 Gb free.

This iCloud sync problem is a specific Tap Forms for iPad issue.

October 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM #10983

Mattapper
    Participant

I have the same problem – also only on my ipad. @Bendan: in there is anything we can do to help you figure out what causes the problem for us, please tell us! Thank you for your Support!

October 2, 2014 at 12:41 PM #10985

Leo
    Participant

Brendan,

here the same problem. One device refuses to sync. Nothing is synced to the other devices. After a uninstall and reinstall, the full sync was done.

Maybe there is something wrong with iCloud itself?

Leo

October 2, 2014 at 1:57 PM #10986

Shy Guy
    Participant

I have the same problem with my iPad mini.. My database i only 1,4mb large without photos or something. Tabforms with my iPhone Sync and iCloud drive works well. iCloud drive and MacOs is an Desaster! I wonder if the Apple Managers are drunken?! Release ios8 with iCloud Drive who can’t Talk with Mavericks via iCloud.. What the hell!!!

I hope you can fix the Problem with the Sync with the iPad issue!

Tapforms is a very Great App and my Brain :)

October 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM #10988

LDamers
    Participant

My problem is in a form on my iPhone that has a linked contact when I sync to iPad the contact appears in the form but I can’t access the info by tapping on the face. I have several previous records ( prior to ios8) that are not linking the contact information anymore

October 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM #10989

Michael S
    Participant

Same problem here: no sync. Only the message “checking iCloud” all the time.
    All photos lost after update on both devices.

– ipad air, ios 8.0.2
    – iphone 5, ios 8.0.2
    – database contains only 51 photos
    – icloud drive is aktive

October 3, 2014 at 12:31 AM #10991

Leo
    Participant

Brendan,

maybe a different problem with syncing but..

pull to sync seems te word on devices but brings nothing to the other devices. Only a button touch in the preferences sync menu get the other device to action… AND

all time and date fields keep showing up empty if synced from another device. So no time registration on iPhone possible to send to my Macbook.

Leo

October 3, 2014 at 2:34 AM #10992

Leo
    Participant

Brendan,

tested IOS version HD with a fresh install.

pull to sync doesn’t work. It seems to sync but nothing gets over to other devices.

Using the sync button in preferences sync works well! (even with date and time stamps)

Leo

October 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM #11002

Brendan
    Keymaster

That’s odd Leo because both those functions call the same code to initiate an upload to iCloud and I’ve done it many times. It may just be a patience issue.

There is a problem syncing between iOS 8 and Mavericks and iOS 7 or earlier. It just won’t work if you’ve activated iCloud Drive.

I suspect Apple will release OS X 10.10 in the next couple of weeks so then sync with the Mac and iOS 8 should work after that. It does for me.

One thing I’ve found that may help get sync going properly is to do a backup of your Tap Forms data and store the database somewhere safe on your computer or upload it to Dropbox.

Then turn off iCloud sync on all copies of Tap Forms. Use the “Keep a Local Copy” option. That’ll download any files that are in iCloud and store them on your device.

Then go to the Manage Storage area in the iCloud Settings on any device and then delete the Tap Forms entry there. That will clear all the files from iCloud that are associated with Tap Forms.

Now give iCloud some time to propagate that change to all of your devices. I’d say, a half an hour.

Then turn iCloud sync on for one device. It will take some time for Tap Forms to upload all the files to iCloud. Go to another device and turn it on there too. You should see both devices show up in the list of Registered Devices.

I had to do this procedure just today because I ran into a very weird problem. Whenever I selected a photo on one device, iCloud downloaded the photo to my Mac, but gave it a slightly different file name than the original one. It would append a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.. to the end of the file name just before the file extension. I don’t know why it was doing this. I know for sure Tap Forms was uploading the file without the extra digit on the end, but somehow iCloud was preventing the overwriting of the existing photo and assigning it a new name. Of course when that happened, Tap Forms did not see the photo on the other device because it had a different file name now.

So doing this procedure seemed to help for me. Your mileage may vary.

If anyone has the “Checking iCloud…” problem and wants to try out version 3.9.1 to help me fix it, that would be greatly appreciated. I’ll need an email with your device type and UUID number. You can get that by clicking on the serial number and pressing command-c to copy it to the clipboard. No pictures of the UUID please. I need it in text.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 4, 2014 at 1:30 AM #11008

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, with the help of Oliver, looks like we’ve figured out what the problem was. In my code I was accessing the iOS keychain on that screen now to detect if you have set your encryption key or not. I have tweaked the code now and it no longer will cause a hang.

But it may be possible to bypass the hang by first going to the Security Settings screen and setting the encryption key first and then going to the iCloud Sync screen. I haven’t tested that exactly as it’s just a theory and I never experienced this problem on my devices. Possibly because I already had the encryption key set on all my devices.

So 3.9.1 will have the fix for this. I will send it out to Apple in the next few days.

Thanks,

Brendan

P.S. Thanks Oliver for helping me to track down this bug and for installing a whole bunch of updated app versions!

October 9, 2014 at 8:47 AM #11044

Shy Guy
    Participant

Hello brendan,

Do you Update only the tabforms iPhone version to 3.9.1? In the AppStore is no Update for tabforms Hd ariavable Form my iPad.

Sorry that i am impatient :)

October 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM #11052

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Shy Guy,

Unfortunately Apple has rejected my iPad update. I responded to their complaint about it and I am waiting for them to review it again. The complaint was just something about Export Compliance for encryption. Nothing to do with the app itself. I submitted the documents they wanted so I’m now waiting to hear back from them. A little while longer, sorry.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM #11104

Shy Guy
    Participant

The Update is out now.. Yeah sync Works… Big thanks!!!

Great Job

October 14, 2014 at 6:53 PM #11108

Brendan
    Keymaster

Excellent!

Thanks for reporting back on that.

Brendan

October 15, 2014 at 4:25 AM #11109

khimmel
    Participant

All works fine now on iMac, iPad Air and iPhone5!

Thanks a lot!

October 15, 2014 at 4:37 AM #11111

Had to restart both my iPad Air and the iPhone 5, but now iCloud sync is working again!

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.