iCloud solution

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

appleuser
    Participant

Hello Brendan,
    As mentioned in this forum, we still have problems with database synchronization through iCloud, especially if the database is large (1.5 Gb in my case). Many of us have opted for the near-sync wifi solution, which is excellent, but still this solution is problematic if you synchronize the database between an updated computer and other older computers, which can not be updated beyond Mac OS X. Capitan, so they work with older versions of Tap Form, and even near-sync also gives problems. However, the structure of iCloud in these old computers still remains “something more intact”, so I still think it would be nice to have a reliable synchronization with iCloud Apple. I think that this aspect is an important issue for many users, that we do not want to move our data to other platforms such as IBM or CouchApp.

September 18, 2018 at 1:21 AM #30665

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Appleuser,

Yes, I understand that iCloud sync needs some TLC in Tap Forms. It’s very complex. But I also can’t really make guarantees that everything will work perfectly when you’re syncing an older OS version with a newer OS version. There’s lots of things that get changed both in Tap Forms and in macOS and iOS that can affect these things.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 18, 2018 at 9:26 AM #30668

appleuser
    Participant

I understand that the solution is not easy, but it is really necessary. Today many people work with information in the cloud, which allows mobility and that is basic. It’s a pity that such a good program, Tap Forms, fails because of this much-needed aspect. I encourage the developer to make Tap Forms perfect! Thank you for your great work and your assistance.

September 19, 2018 at 9:52 AM #30675

Mark Chester
    Participant

I had major issues with iCloud sync so moved to IBM Cloudant which works like a charm.

So basically in my opinion you can sync this successfully. I use it on 2 Macs and an iPhone.

September 19, 2018 at 1:59 PM #30677

appleuser
    Participant

I understand, but why can not we use the iCloud Apple ecosystem? iCloud works well for many other applications.

November 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM #31747

appleuser
    Participant

Hello Brendan,
    I have a large database (1.5 Gb) composed of text fields and a field type photo. I use it on several devices (iMac, MBP, iPhone, iPad, …). I have tried several times to synchronize it through iCloud but it fails: I do it as indicated by the instructions that you have given us in your videos, but when trying to upload it, it is going at a very slow speed, even though I have a good bandwidth and without firewalls that alter the process. In fact, in the end the program says that the waiting time has run out and the load fails. Because of this I have decided to synchronize the database with nearby sync, but it is somewhat inconvenient when working with so many devices that you do not have constantly open. Is there any other solution other than forgetting iCloud? It really is a serious problem that is making me consider abandoning the use of Tap Forms even though in other aspects I consider it a formidable program.

November 12, 2018 at 10:59 AM #31748

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Appleuser,

iCloud is a slow sync system because Apple throttles the connections. Even if you have a fast Internet connection, Apple will still put the brakes on how many connections you can make and how fast they go. So Tap Forms spends a bunch of time waiting for Apple’s servers to allow more requests.

Have you thought about trying out Apache CouchDB? For such a large database that would be a good solution.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 12, 2018 at 11:19 AM #31750

appleuser
    Participant

Ufff ! It’s a bit surprising that Apple does that with connections? I have seen this possibility of Apache CouchDB but for someone who is not a computer engineer it seems a bit complex … I have entered the CouchDB page and version 2.2.0 appears. On the other hand in the instructions of Tap Forms insists on “It’s important to download the 2.1.1 version”. Other questions: where is the database located? What size database does it allow? It’s a pity that it does not go well under iCloud …
    Thanks for your support, Brendan.

November 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM #31751

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah… you can use 2.2.0. My instructions need to be updated because there was an older version 2.0 that didn’t work and 2.1.1 was required. So you can use the newest version of CouchDB now.

Do you mean where does CouchDB store the database? It stores it in your home folder’s Library folder in Application Support / CouchDB2

CouchDB doesn’t specify how big your database files can be that I know of. They can be pretty large. The nice thing about it is as long as you have your Mac on you can sync to it without having to have Tap Forms opened on your Mac. It acts as a server for all your other devices. It’s like having your own cloud server, but not over the Internet. Just for your own local network. But you can enable it to access it from the outside world. But that involves opening a hole in your firewall.

November 23, 2018 at 2:05 PM #31976

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

For comparison, I have a TF document that is 5.6GB that is sync’d to a CouchDB server I run on an old iMac 2011 on my local network. CouchDB will continue expand it’s document store so long as you have disk space to accommodate it. Having CouchDB on my network means that everything inside my network goes at full speed though whilst I’m not at home my changes aren’t replicated until I get home and open TF again.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.