icloud layout sync?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

xpusostomos
    Participant

Is it just me, or does tap forms not sync form layout, sort order, etc etc to iCloud?

It seems to me that if you’re going to sync, you should sync EVERYTHING, not just the raw bare bones data.

October 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM #6819

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, it syncs the forms and the fields and everything. Try making a change to your form (adjusting the sort field, moving the fields up and down), etc. Then try your sync again. That should cause the date modified for the form and fields to be updated.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 2, 2013 at 4:52 AM #6822

xpusostomos
    Participant

Hmm… I seem to be able to get it to work occasionally.

I realise you guys are probably at the mercy of the black box of Apple’s cloud, but it doesn’t seem to work too well.

October 2, 2013 at 5:15 AM #6823

xpusostomos
    Participant

Hmm, it seems to me that sync in general is mostly, not working, whether for records or layout.

When I press the sync button on the Mac, it’s far too quick. The syncing drop down appears and vanishes in the blink of an eye. To make a serious attempt to connect to the internet, talk the cloud etc should at least take a second or two. There is something weird about it.

October 2, 2013 at 5:16 AM #6824

xpusostomos
    Participant

Or is it just slow? How slow should I expect Apple’s cloud to be?

October 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM #6833

Brendan
    Keymaster

That’s because when you tell Tap Forms to sync, all it needs to do is write a file to a folder on your hard drive. That’s very quick. After that, outside of Tap Forms, Apple’s iCloud sync daemon process kicks in and takes the files I wrote and uploads them to the iCloud servers. It does that all outside of Tap Forms without Tap Forms knowing about it. Also, when you click on the Sync button on the Mac, what you’re doing is uploading any changes you made on your Mac to iCloud. Actually writing out the files as I already stated. If there are no changes, there’s no file created.

You can see the files here:

~/Library/Mobile Documents/FXLPHZS84D~com~clickspace~tapforms/SyncDocuments

So Tap Forms is writing to that folder. That’s a shared folder between all of your devices. Well, technically it’s a copy of the same folder on all your devices. When a file is put in there, iCloud will upload it to Apple’s iCloud servers, then when you open Tap Forms on your iOS device, it will check to see if there are any files waiting to download. If so, it will tell them to download. Once they’ve finished downloading, you will then see the Processing Changes from iCloud message appear in the status bar area at the top.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.