iCloud disabled? Sync problem Mac OS

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Welles Goodrich
    Participant

I just purchased Tap Forms for Mac and iOS today because Bento kept crashing on a newish iPad upgraded to 8.1. My Mac is running Mavericks and I prefer not to update to Yosemite. I have not turned on iCloud Drive. Documents and Data are still viable on the iPad. I found the post about the encryption key business and added one in my KeyChain access. The iPad seems to be set up properly. On my Mac, however, I keep getting this notice (see attachment)

I’m perplexed because in the iCloud pref pane Tap Forms is listed and checked in the options window of Documents and Data. I’ve even shut down two-step verification for the moment. Any guess what the issue might be? I’m at a loss.

Oh, the Bento import went flawlessly and I was able to figure out the few tweaks needed to have everything just right. Now when sync is working I’ll be one happy camper!

Thanks,
    Welles

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    October 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM #11474

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Welles,

Well, all Tap Forms is doing on that screen is checking to see if iCloud returns the folder where I need to access your files in iCloud and it also checks to see if you have an Internet connection.

What’s happening in your case is the operating system is either not detecting an Internet connection (highly unlikely) or returning a null value (no value set) for the iCloud folder. If that happens, I show that screen. So it’s the operating system that’s telling Tap Forms that iCloud is unavailable.

Generally that means that on Mavericks, Documents & Data needs to be enabled or on Yosemite, iCloud Drive needs to be enabled.

On iOS 8, it means that iCloud Drive needs to be enabled. And if you enabled iCloud Drive on iOS then you have to enable it on Yosemite. If you don’t have Yosemite, then you need to upgrade to it to get sync to work between iOS and your Mac.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 29, 2014 at 7:19 AM #11485

Welles Goodrich
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan. I’m afraid I may have made a miscalculation when I purchased the two Tap Forms. I really don’t like Yosemite and one app isn’t enough reason for me to upgrade. Is there a work-around to iCloud syncing? Can I export the Tap Forms database on my Mac and somehow import it into the iPad. I would be willing to manually update future entries. Unfortunately I have some two hundred current passwords and over 500 app registrations that I wish to keep available (even though more than half are retired).

Cheers,
    Welles

October 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM #11502

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Welles,

You can run a backup using the Backup command in the File menu on the Mac, then use iTunes File Sharing to copy the backup file to Tap Forms when your device is plugged into your computer. Then go to the Backup & Restore screen on your iPad and tap on the backup file and then tap on the Restore button.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 30, 2014 at 8:15 AM #11516

Welles Goodrich
    Participant

Thanks Brendan. I’ll sort it out from there.

Regards,
    Welles

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.