I find a bug in searching in Chinese langues

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms I find a bug in searching in Chinese langues

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

sinosure
    Participant

When searching in English I can find any words in any where(maybe this is called fuzzy query).

But when I searching in Chinese langue I can only find the record through input the beginning words of the value.

For example in English, My value is “Canada’s Olympic”, I can find it by “Canada” or “Olympic”.

But in Chinese My value is “加拿大奥运会”(means Canada’s Olympic), I can find it by “加拿大”, but I can’t find it by “奥运会”

Please fix it and thanks

March 12, 2010 at 1:52 AM #3989

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Sinosure,

In my next update I will be turning off the FTS3 search engine for Chinese. I already have to do this for Japanese because the SQLite Full Text Search software unfortunately does not support searching in the middle of words. Words must be separated by a space or carriage return. In Chinese and Japanese words are not separated so that is why it’s not working for you.

My next update will let you search in the middle of words, but the search will be slower depending on how much data you have. If you don’t have a ton of data then it will be fast. But the more data you have the slower that kind of search will be. I’m not talking a huge amount of time, but maybe a few seconds to search instead of virtually instant.

Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM #3990

sinosure
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

I have used an app called AppCreator Database Manager,

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appcreator-database-manager/id314153944?mt=8

This app can do Full Text Search in Chinese language virtually instant.

When you have finshed your update I will do some test through a same form in these two apps in searching speed in Chinese.

Thanks again.

September 15, 2010 at 6:55 AM #4191

sinosure
    Participant

Searching in the middle of words in Chinese looks still not work :(

September 15, 2010 at 7:37 AM #4192

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Sinosure,

That’s odd. Because in the code I’m doing the same thing for the Chinese language that I’m doing for the Japanese language and I’ve been told that the searching works fine in Japanese.

Is your iPhone set to display everything in Chinese? Or are you using English and then searching for Chinese words?

Thanks,

Brendan

September 16, 2010 at 7:16 AM #4193

sinosure
    Participant

My iPhone set to display everything in English. I’m using English and then searching for Chinese words.

Not work:(

Today I try to set my iPhone to display everything in Chinese? And then searching for Chinese words.

Not work too :(

September 16, 2010 at 7:33 AM #4194

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Sinosure,

Well, it definitely wouldn’t work if your iPhone is set to English. I detect the language setting and then change the way it searches to accommodate substring searches. It’s slower, but it should work. Are you using Traditional or Simplified Chinese? It shouldn’t matter though since it should work for both scenarios. Can you try creating a new record and then searching for that value when your phone is in Chinese mode?

Thanks,

Brendan

September 16, 2010 at 7:50 AM #4195

sinosure
    Participant

I am using Simplified Chinese.

I have created a new record and then searched for that value when my phone is in Chinese mode. :( Still can’t work.

Maybe you can have a test on your iPhone in Simplified Chinese.

September 16, 2010 at 8:37 AM #4196

sinosure
    Participant

And then I change my iPhone to Japanese mode…….It works fine.

Can you fix the bug in Simplified Chinese.

Or you can add an on/off setting for this kind of searching in all language mode.

September 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM #4197

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Sinosure,

Ok, if that’s the case then I must be detecting the locale incorrectly. I’ll look into that and get it fixed.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.