I accidently erased a Tap Forms file

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    I am trying to clean up my Tap Forms 5 databases and accidentally erased a certain file – I had moved it into another category and erased the original, not realizing that the copy would be deleted as well.

I am now searching for that file in my time machine, but I am not sure where to look. I have found a path to sample forms: Library>Containers>com.tapzapp.tapforms-mac>Data>Documents>>Sample Forms.tapforms

Under Backups (not time machine) I found a zip file from the last time I used it (09.May)
    Am I correct in guessing I have to replace my whole current data base with that zip file? All I want to do is get the file I erased, which was contacts that I made at trade fairs.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Kim

May 22, 2018 at 9:44 AM #28715

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kim,

If you look in Time Machine at that above location (without the Sample Forms.tapforms selection, do you see any other files? What was the name of your .tapforms document file? Look for that in Time Machine.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 22, 2018 at 12:43 PM #28716

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    The file was “Messekontakte” inside the file MacOSX. And as I said, I have .zip Backup files. Would it be enough just to install those as I haven’t made any other changes since that mentioned back up. I’m including a screen shot of the backups that are on my desktop library file. the one with the grey dot would be the one with the missing data.

So do I just open it up and install it and remove the Original MacOSX file?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Kimberley

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    May 22, 2018 at 4:20 PM #28719

Brendan
    Keymaster

There shouldn’t really be anything inside that __MACOSX folder. You can just delete it.

If you have the zip file, just double-click on it in the Finder and unzip it. Then look inside for your file. You don’t have to go through the Restore process.

See if the file you’re looking for is in that.

May 23, 2018 at 12:57 AM #28723

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Thanks. The unszipped file restored the lost data. It is a good thing that I hadn’t done too much work on the files yesterday before I made that mistake – which I won’t make again.

Kind regards
    Kimberley

May 23, 2018 at 1:01 AM #28724

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

I thought it was good, but Tap Forms keeps on making that Messekontakt file disappear. Now you see it, now you don’t.
    argggghhhh

May 23, 2018 at 1:06 AM #28725

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

I tried renaming the file and opened it only to see that Messekontakt file disappear before my eyes.

May 23, 2018 at 1:52 AM #28734

Brendan
    Keymaster

Do you mean a file in the Finder is disappearing? Or do you mean a form within that Tap Forms document?

If a form is disappearing before your eyes after a restore, then it means the form was deleted on the cloud service you’re syncing with. You’ll need to delete the database from the cloud service, then restore again.

If you’re using iCloud for syncing, then disable iCloud, then click the Delete from iCloud button.

Then do the restore operation.

What’s happening is the deletion is being replayed against your restored database, thus causing that form to be deleted again.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 23, 2018 at 2:13 AM #28739

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Thanks. That seemed to have worked.
    Regards,
    Kimberley

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.