How to populate child form Popover

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

alang
    Participant

I hope this is not something obvious that I am simply missing. And I hope I am getting the terminology correctly. On a parent form, I am doing a lookup with a Link To Form. When I add a record to the Parent Form, can I control the fields and records that appear in the Popover? I am being general because I have various uses for this. But one simple example would be a form for Authors (to be used as Child) with the fields: id, first name, last name, country. The Parent form would be Books with just two fields: Title, Link To Form (Authors). In use, you add a record to the Parent (Books) form and click the checkmark on the Child (Authors). I would like to be able to control the list that appears in the Popover. It might be id, Last Name; it might be Country, Last Name; and the sort order might change. Ideally, I would also like to filter the records appearing in the Popover. Can I control the list of records in these ways that appears in the Popover? It would be great if I could select from a saved search to populate the Popover. Thank you!

• This topic was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by alang.
    May 25, 2023 at 10:45 AM #49477

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alang,

Yes, you can control which fields are displayed in the popover. It’s the same fields that are display on the Single Column List view on the form you’re linking to. So whatever you adjust there will also appear on the popover view, including the “Single Column List View Fields” setting on the Form, which sets the number of fields in your Fields list to display there. The order of the fields in the Fields list for the form controls also what you see there.

There’s no function to use a Saved Search to affect the list of records in the popover, but there is a general search field you can type into.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 25, 2023 at 10:38 PM #49480

alang
    Participant

I see. Thank you. On the form I am linking to are several fields that are themselves, “Link To Form”. So they, of course, are not available to display in the popover (or the left of the child form itself). I do need some combinations to appear in the popover. For example, the child form used to populate the popover, called Sources includes books titles. A field on Sources is Authors, which itself, is a “Link To Form” (to Authors) since a book might have several authors. What I want to appear in the popover populated by Sources would be, for example, a principle author (identified somehow in the authors form) plus the book title. So given what you have said, I am thinking that I need to utilize either a calculation field or a script field to extract on the sources form, for each record, book title plus author. The scripting would need to select which author. I would take that title plus author and place it in a regular text field on the form, Sources (the child form that will populate the popover). This plain text field, populated by the script with author-title, would then appear as a field to select for the popover. If I managed to make that clear, does it sound like I am headed down a reasonable path? Or does a better approach come to mind? Thank you.

May 25, 2023 at 11:34 PM #49481

Brendan
    Keymaster

You don’t need a separate field to contain the results of the Script field execution. You can just display the Script field directly because whatever you return from the Script will be displayed by that field. If the relationship field is the inverse of a One to Many (that is, a Link From Form field), then the Calculation field formula can also return that value and takes just a single double-click on the Formula Edit screen for the Calculation field.

May 25, 2023 at 11:40 PM #49482

alang
    Participant

Thanks Brendan.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.