How to delete records (plural) by a criteria?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms How to delete records (plural) by a criteria?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Roger Neilson
    Participant

I have a load of records that are from a certain date (one fo the fields) and am importing newer records that will duplicate them, is there a way of setting the ones I want deleted to avoid duplication and have a global delete?
    E.g. records imported on 1.1 2016 new records imported on 1.6.2016 remove en masse the 1.1.2016 records?

August 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM #18834

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Roger,

Mac or iOS?

In either case, just create a Saved Search that filters the records for the specific date and then just delete the ones that are found from the search.

On iOS one of the new features is the Delete All Records command will delete just the found set of records if a saved search is currently selected.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 19, 2016 at 2:39 PM #18840

Roger Neilson
    Participant

It is the Mac version. Yes I understood that you could create a search and then you would only be presented with the records you wished to delete. However I can then not select en masse bu have to do them one at a time? Am I missing something or will I have to then export the records and do the mass delete in Numbers and then import the cleaned up records back again? Its a bit of a pain… well actually 2589 pains when looking at the records I want to delete.

Roger

August 19, 2016 at 7:21 PM #18845

Brendan
    Keymaster

You could just press command-a to select all the records once you’ve clicked on one record. That’ll select them all. Then just press command-delete to delete all the selected records.

August 19, 2016 at 10:33 PM #18853

Roger Neilson
    Participant

Duh, indeed I could, and I have just done so. That worked and they are gone. Thank you. So obvious when its said.

However the database is still the same size as it has preserved 2000 plus records as blanks now.

DB prior to action – 5176 records, database now 5176 records. To remove the records I still need to do that either by one at a time selection, or by export to Numbers and then delete there, then reimport…

Roger

August 20, 2016 at 10:01 AM #18870

Brendan
    Keymaster

I think you were in the multi-column list view and you just pressed the delete key instead of the command-delete key. One clears the fields, the other deletes the records.

To shrink the database size after deleting records, go to the Maintenance tab in the Preferences window and click on the Compact Database button.

August 22, 2016 at 1:10 PM #18971

Roger Neilson
    Participant

Thank you yes that worked fine though it took a little while to delete them all.

August 22, 2016 at 1:17 PM #18973

Brendan
    Keymaster

I made an optimizing in the most recent version which speeds up deleting of records. Make sure you’ve got the latest version of Tap Forms.

August 26, 2016 at 3:21 AM #19071

Roger Neilson
    Participant

Thanks Brendan, great service as usual

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.