How do I make a LIST of Records? Smart Lists?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms How do I make a LIST of Records? Smart Lists?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Todd Hagopian
    Participant

I just started using Tapforms and so far I really like it. Bento was a little hard for me and this is much more user friendly.

I’m having trouble figuring out how to make a list of records. I figured out the “saved search” function (which is kind of like a “smart list”, right?), but I want to pick and choose different records to include in a list. There’s no defining feature of these records other than that I choose them.

How can I create lists in Tapforms?

October 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM #7220

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Todd,

You can only create a saved search either based on a global form level search term to search for a value across all fields or the more advanced search which lets you pick which fields to search by and enter values for the search rules which would qualify and return a subset of your records.

However, you can actually achieve what you want with the Link to Form field type with a many-to-many Link Type. This way you can pick from the list of records that you’ve made in another form and associate them with another form. You would first start by creating your child form (the form you want to pick records from), then create a parent form and add the Link to Form field to it that references your child form.

Now when you add a new record to your parent form, you’ll be able to add a set of selected records to it from the child form.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 1, 2013 at 6:10 AM #7252

Todd Hagopian
    Participant

Hmmm….this is a bit hard to follow but I’ll play with it and see if I can’t figure it out.

What I REALLY want to do is drag and drop records into a file to create a group. Kind of like picking teams in a sports draft – you have 26 teams and each team has 10 – 15 players, etc.

Is there any way to do this?

Even better would be something like “smart folders” in Mac Mail – some similar functionality would be really helpful. But I’d love to be able to manually drag and drop records into a folder or group.

November 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM #7259

Todd Hagopian
    Participant

I’ve now tried but I don’t understand this at all. I just want to be able to group records together in one place with it’s own name. They all use the same form (but it would be good to have the ability to group different records with different forms together as well).

I like what “saved searches” create – a little “sub-group”. But I want to group things that don’t have a searchable term in common.

November 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM #7276

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can group records using the “Group Records By” function on the Edit Form screen. But you need to pick a field which has a common value that allows you to group records together. There’s no drag & drop function for grouping records together.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 2, 2013 at 8:09 AM #7291

Todd Hagopian
    Participant

Ok – thanks. I think a drag and drop function would be very useful. At least for me lol! Do you think this might become available going forward?

November 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM #7312

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Todd,

The only thing I’m sure of at the moment is that I’m working on a new drag and drop layout engine, but it’s for the record details view, not the list view.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.