How can I sync from Mac to Mac?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Steve Pillinger
    Participant

Hi, I’ve just got a new Mac and I’ve chosen the route of clean installations rather than migrating apps from my old machine. I’ve therefore done a fresh install of Tap Forms on the new machine, and have imported into it archives of my databases from the old machine.

For a while I’m going to be running the two machines simultaneously while I get the new one fully set up. What I want to know, is whether I can sync the two Tap Forms during this period? On the Preferences / Sync page it says, “To sync this document, this value must be identical on each device:” — followed by a long string of letters & numbers. My problem is that that string is NOT identical on the two Macs. So neither of them can ‘find’ the other for syncing.

Is there a solution to this?

June 13, 2022 at 12:59 AM #47482

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

You’ll need to pick one of the Macs that has all the data you want. Then use the Send Document command to send a copy of the document from the one Mac over to the other Mac.

That way the database document IDs will be identical and sync can function.

There’s instructions in the online user manual for doing that:

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/send-to-another-device

Thanks,

Brendan

June 13, 2022 at 3:20 AM #47484

Steve Pillinger
    Participant

Thanks Brendan! Sorry I missed the instructions in the manual.

Just one question before I try this: I had already tried to set up matching documents on the new Mac, importing archive documents for each database. Do these need to be deleted before starting the Send Document process? Or when I drag the Airdropped files into Tap Forms, will they replace whatever’s there? (I’d hate to end up with duplicate databases!)

Thanks for your help.

June 13, 2022 at 1:03 PM #47486

Steve Pillinger
    Participant

Hey Brendan, I’d like to cancel the above question. I’ve since managed to copy the database documents from the one Mac to the other and dropped them into Tap Forms on the new machine. The numbers were the same, so I’ve set them to sync. Wonderful! (For some reason Airdrop on my old machine wouldn’t recognise the new one, so I just copied the .tapforms files to a USB stick and made the transfer that way.) I deleted all my experimental stuff before adding the databases from the old machine.

So now I can edit or add new records on either machine, and the databases will sync. Thanks for setting Tap Forms up to be so flexible and useful!

June 15, 2022 at 7:39 PM #47489

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

Excellent! I’m glad you got it all syncing now.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.