Help with Creating a Team Manager Database

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Help with Creating a Team Manager Database

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Yvette M
    Participant

Hi.

If I’m not asking too much, could someone help me with the following database?

Here’s the scenario:
    I am team manager for two girls soccer teams. Both are the same age group of girls, but one is the A team, the second is the B team. In our club, they are both 08(year they were born) teams and their team IDs are TK and NM.
    So the A team is 08 NM
    B team is 08 TK

There are approx. 18 girls on each team and for the most part, the 08 NM roster always plays together, and the 08 TK roster plays together. When we play at tournaments, this can change. Some of the 08 NM girls may play for the 08 TK team, and vice versa. Also, we may have guest players.

As a club, each player has club fees, uniform costs, and registration costs that should be the same for each player (but can be different).

Also, every tournament has its costs that players are responsible for. I add all the costs, such as the tournament registration cost for the team and coaches travel expenses together and divide that figure based on the amount of girls going to the tournament. There will always be one registration cost per team for each tournament so that gets divided between the amount of girls in that team. But sometimes if both teams are going to the same tournament, then the coaches travel expenses will be divided by girls from both teams. So, for example, if the 08 NM and the 08 TK team are both going out of town to the same tournament, then we would all split the coaches travel fees. ($400 divided by 18 vs. $400 divided by 36)

I want to be able to record these things:
    First, the players info. Name, team they are on, Jersey #, people related to them (I’ll explain why in a minute).

Second, I want to keep track of Costs and Fees. I need to be able to list what fees are charged for each season. Examples: How much registration was, uniform was, etc.
    I want to know what tournaments we attended and what the cost was to be in the tournament. I want to be able to show who played at each tournament (that will give me the number to divide the cost by)

Third, and most important, I want to track what each player owes and what each player was a part of. Somewhat an attendance record for each player.

My main goal is to be able to say, Player 1 owes me $X amount of money. This is because Player 1 was in this tournament, which was on this day, and costs this much. I would like to be able to track each time Player 1 makes a payment, how much, for what, and her balance. A register of each players transactions so when a parent asks me “what do I owe” I can answer “you owe this much because of these reasons and you paid me on these dates so far”.

Right now, my method is not great at all of keeping track and I am getting worried I am not going to be able to get on top of this problem if I don’t make a change now. That’s why I am begging for help.

I accept payments from parents mainly through my bank and the parents use zelle. So, this is great because I can go back and look through transaction to see who paid when. But, I do this manually each time a parent asks and it’s so much work. I have to search for their parents name on the bank site( this is why I wanted people to record who is related to each player) so, maybe if was automated this task, I could pick Player 1 to find their payments and automatically it knows to include Player 1’s moms name and dads name into the search.

Is there a way to use a script to automatically retrieve the statements from my bank (my bank allows downloads of statements in a .csv output that I can upload to tapforms.) and have 5he statements refresh and update each players payments log or record?

I’m sure this was a lot to read and maybe too much to ask help with. But, if anybody can help and make my life easier while managing two teams, I know the staff , owner, and dedicated people who monitor these forums are the smartest people ever and can help me.

There’s probably things I missed that may cause confusion, but please ask. I can better describe anything.

Thanks for your time.
    Can’t wait to see if someone will help.

Yvette

May 10, 2022 at 11:49 AM #47258

Paul Kettle
    Participant

Hello Yvette
    I’m a bit of a newbie to TapForms, but have a look at the screen shot below. Is this the type of thing you are looking for ?
    Hope this helps

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    May 10, 2022 at 3:06 PM #47269

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Yvette,

What Paul has suggested sounds perfect I think for what you’re trying to accomplish.

If players can be part of multiple teams though you might want to have a separate Teams form that you link to Players with a many-to-many Link to Form field. That way you can click on a Team and see all the members of that team. And a person can belong to more than one team that way.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 10, 2022 at 11:34 PM #47272

Yvette M
    Participant

That looks good. Can you send me the actual database as a template so I can see what you did. Or, tell me how you created it? I’m a newbie too. I don’t know how you made the transaction history table. And I don’t have a Mac to use. Only iOS. I really wish I did because there seems like you can do so much more with this program using a Mac. Thanks for your help.

May 10, 2022 at 11:54 PM #47273

Yvette M
    Participant

As I look at it closer, I’m intrigued. But, I still have things to figure out. I don’t know if it’s better that I asked for help with such a big project, or better if I ask task by task that ends up being everything I need. (If anyone has the patience to help me that much) This is great start though.

Here’s a question now:
    Is this only one form? Because I would like to be able to click on, for example, the word tournament in the first line of the transaction history and it take me to the details of that tournament-let’s call it “event form”. The “event form” will collect records like 1. the tournament date, 2. Tournament name, 3. cost of registration for the whole team, 4. and a break down of who played in the tournament. From these bits of info I can 1. Put the date and 2. The name of the tournament on each players “balance sheet or transaction history” So, instead of showing just “tournament”, it will say which exact tournament it is. Then, 3. Cost of registration will be part of a formula to calculate how much each player owes for this event. And 4. The breakdown of players is the rest of the formula. So, the cost divided by the amount of players is the total due for this particular event.

I’ll break it down and ask task by task, if you don’t mind, because this is easier. I at least described the whole picture in my original question so you can see on a grand scale what my goal is. And by writing this out, it’s also helping me figure it out a little too.

Thanks. I hope I haven’t bored you yet.

Hope to hear back!
    Yvette

May 11, 2022 at 6:26 AM #47275

Paul Kettle
    Participant

Hi Yvette
    You are correct I’m on an Apple Macbook – so I don’t know if its possible to do all of the things on IOS.
    The transaction history is a table that sits on the form, I added a text field and then changed it to a table. Once you have it inserted into the form you can then add columns in the same way as you would with Excel.
    I’ve attached my progress thus far and will try and develop it a little further as time allows. However I’ve no experience of writing scripts, so not sure how much of a help I’ll be to your grand plan.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    May 11, 2022 at 10:46 PM #47278

Yvette M
    Participant

Thank you Paul. I’ll look over what you created. I really appreciate the help and effort. I’m so excited to learn database creating, and I grateful for any help at all. Maybe, I you have time- we can tackle this together slowly. I’ll get back to you soon after I look at your attachment.
    Thanks!

May 11, 2022 at 11:11 PM #47279

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can do almost everything on iOS that you can do on Mac except for custom layouts, labels, generating barcodes, and the advanced printing engine.

Paul’s form was made with a Table field to show the Transaction Histories. They work on iOS too.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.