Help with All Forms

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Charles Kouns
    Participant

I have established two categories for my forms to go under. In one category I have 8 forms and in the other I have 4. On the far left window with the heading All Forms or drop down My Forms, I can see all of the 8 forms in one of my categories and a listing of the Second Category. But none of the 4 forms are listed within the second category under All Forms. Also, the second category – whether hide or show is selected – does not show anything.

SO I have to keep two separate windows open on my laptop, one for each category. Can’t I get these to all show up in one place so I don’t have to keep two windows open and also worry about losing a way to open a category if I close it?

Thanks!

Charlie

September 29, 2017 at 10:25 AM #24978

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Charlie,

The hierarchy of things in Tap Forms is as follows:

Database Document (a file on disk with a .tapforms file extension)
      --> Category
          --> Form
              --> Fields
              --> Records (contain the instances of the fields)
                  --> Values

So to me it sounds like you have 2 Database Documents, each with a different set of forms.

By default Tap Forms creates an “Uncategorized” category which will hold all forms that you haven’t put into any specific category within the document. But you can create other categories too. If you open up the Sample Forms document, you’ll see there are categories within it such as Business, Personal, Miscellaneous, and Uncategorized. It allows you to rearrange the forms within each category however you would like.

It’s also a holdover from the older version of Tap Forms which didn’t support multiple separate database documents. You used to have to have all forms within the same database, so having categories was a good way to organize them. Now you can have completely separate documents with different sets of forms in them.

If you want to have all of your forms within the same document, then you can use the Export Tap Forms Archive command on each form in your other document to generate a .tfarc file. That’ll contain the form and all of its records within that file. Then open up your other document and use the Import Tap Forms Archive command to import them into that document.

Hope that clears things up and helps a bit.

Thanks!

Brendan

September 29, 2017 at 11:44 AM #24981

Charles Kouns
    Participant

Perfect Brendan! Thanks a bunch. Your help in getting to know all is invaluable. Thanks for being so available.

Charlie

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.