HELP TapForms crashing after last update

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

gzamba
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I was waiting for the latest update with the Dropbox sync support…
    I managed to download the latest versions yesterday on my mac running Maverics (10.9.5) and my Ipad 3 running 8.2.
    I made sure both had the same encryption key, disabled sync on both, then started the mac version, went into preferences and selected the dropbox sync with manual operation and sync after startup and before exit…
    I enabled sync on the mac and waited for it to start uploading stuff to dropbox. I could see stuff being added to dropbox. I led the mac to get something to eat only to find out upon my return that the app has crashed.
    I have been unable to start it ever since… I keeps crating seconds after it opens.
    I downloaded the trial version from your website, in case this could fix things…
    I started it, went into preferences and disabled syncing.
    This seems to work fine but is in trial mode…
    I exited this and restarted the mac-app-store version which keeps crashing…

Needless to say I have not tried to sync anything on the iPad…

What can I do?

May 6, 2015 at 8:29 AM #13571

gzamba
    Participant

I got a message saying that I can register my trial copy because I have purchased it from the mac store and so I did.
    I am now running the beta version in full mode…
    My problem now is that I cannot sync because the Library/SyncDocuments folder in dropbox is empty.
    I have posted a separate entry for this problem to make it easier for the forum users to follow..

May 6, 2015 at 8:50 AM #13574

gzamba
    Participant

How is it possible that the app version downloaded from the app store is V3.5 (Build 658) and the beta version downloaded from your website is v3.5 (build 537)?
    I thought the beta version was more recent…
    By the way both versions work fine now… but no sync as the Library/SyncDocuments folder in dropbox remains empty

May 6, 2015 at 9:19 AM #13575

gzamba
    Participant

I take the last statement back…
    I reset syncing and started again on the iPad. Miracle! tha Library/SyncDocuments was populated with “TFSyncDevice-372EAEE3-1B1F-4C67-A758-68A12F2674CA.tfs”.
    I then entered into the game my iPad mini…
    another tis file was added and the two iPad saw each other, but since their databases are empty there was nothing to sync.
    I then enabled again syncing on the app store version (build 658). The initial sync seemed to be successful and a “TFSyncDevice-602DD5D9-59AB-4DC1-8767-1A8D518C34E2.tfs” was created along with “TFSyncDoc-602DD5D9-59AB-4DC1-8767-1A8D518C34E2-[0].tfx”, but the app crashed immediately.
    I reset everything and started again using the same steps only this time I launched the beta version (build 537). This time the app did not crash, but neither did it create the sync files in dropbox…
    The two iPads see each other correctly and sync perfectly, but the mac, although it seems to see the other two, it cannot sync because it does not create the sync files…

Please help

May 6, 2015 at 10:12 AM #13580

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well, the direct download is not a beta version, it’s the production version, just the direct download version. It is a bit older than the Mac App Store build though. They’re different targets in Xcode and each target has its own build number. So the build numbers are not in sync. However, since Apple takes so long to review updates, the direct download version will continue to have the most recent updates. So when I can fix this issue, it will appear there first.

Can you please email me the crash report you receive? That will help me to diagnose the issue. There are currently two issues that I’ve seen so far that I did not experience with beta testing (more beta testers would certainly have helped, but I didn’t get many replies when I called for volunteers). The first issue seems to be related to bad file names that Dropbox cannot handle. Filenames with back slashes in the name. And another one seems to be an issue with reading the TFSyncDevice file which I’ve never seen before. At least that’s what I think is happening based on the crash reports I’ve received from a couple of people.

It seems perhaps that entering in the following command may help with that issue:

defaults delete com.tapforms.mac

But you’d have to re-enable sync after you do that.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.