Help setting up Near Sync with IPhone 6s

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

Hi Brendan.

I just bought the TapForm for IPhone v.5.2.1? and I am trying to import my DB from my desktop MAC from TF v. 5.2.2 to the IPhone. IOS version 11.1 and OS 10.12.6

I can’t get either the phone or the desktop to see each other using nearby sync.

I’ve gone into Sync Settings on the desktop machine, Sync with nearby devices window is empty and if I click the + “Select a device sharing this DB document” is also empty.

I’ve tried to add my internet user name and password to the Web/FTP settings on the iphone, as well as enabling Web-server on and off in the Files section of TF IPhone. Not sure if that should be enabled or not.

Either way, could you walk me through the steps to get phone/desktop MAc to recognize each other and then sync DB file from Mac to IPhone?

Thanks

JL

November 2, 2017 at 3:16 PM #25712

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

OK. I finally figured out that I needed to get an exact copy of the DB from my Mac to the IPhone. I did that by dragging a copy of the DB (buried in the user>Library…to the File sharing window of ITunes when I plug my phone into the computer. I then synced and there was the DB on the phone.

I was then able to also connect the Phone using the Sync Preferences in TF on the computer and had the little green dot saying all was good.
    I then made a change to a record on the computer, and that change synced to the phone. Yea!!! But when I made a change to a record on the IPhone, it would not sync back to the DB on the computer. DOH!

In addition, I am getting a message as shown in the attachment.

Other than that, is there a way to have more than just the first name of all my records be visible? I’d like to see at least the first name and the last name if possible. Some setting?

Thanks Brendan.

JL

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 2, 2017 at 4:54 PM #25717

Brendan
    Keymaster

I have an update coming out that fixes the SSL error.

If you set the “List View Fields” setting on the form to something higher than 1, then Tap Forms will display more fields. Up to the first 5 fields can be displayed on the single column list view.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 2, 2017 at 6:13 PM #25720

Jonathan Levin
    Participant

Hi Brendan.

1) is the update going to be the desktop, mobile or both versions?

2) i finally figured out that list view thing. I needed to re-order the fields on the mobile version of my DB, but I’d like that re-order to not sync over to the desktop DB. Are the two idependent of each other? In other words are the only changes being synced are the changes in a field?

3) love that you can place call within contact!

4) is the ssl issue why I can’t sync FROM Iphone, but am able to make changes from desktop TO Iphone and that works?

5) in the Tools > Web/ftp settings, does any of that need to be filled in to use nearby sync? Right now I’ve filled in username and password for my wifi, but the save and or Done button don’t seem to do anything.

6) In the Tools> Files setting on Iphone at the bottom of the window there is control button thatat toggles Web Server Off. If activated, I see my phone name and some other cryptic stuff. Should this always be on or off or doesn’t it matter?

Sorry for all the ???? Trying to get the hang of it.

Jonathan

November 2, 2017 at 8:17 PM #25723

Brendan
    Keymaster

1. Both versions.

2. All changes sync except for things at the document level such as document icons, the name of the document, etc. Basically anything within the database will sync. Well, other than things like the last selected form and record, etc.

3. Awesome!

4. Yes. It’s a High Sierra issue.

5. Nope. It has nothing to do with syncing at all. That’s for the built-in web and FTP server that you can turn on in the Files area. It’s just to let you upload and download files to Tap Forms.

6. If you put that http address into Safari, you’ll get a nice web interface to the Files area. You can upload and download files from there.

No worries. Happy to answer them.

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.