Haphazard Sync

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

John Scoble
    Participant

Hi Brendan

I am having a problem with haphazard syncing.
    I have the following bits of hardware – running the versions of TapForms as detailed:

Mac Mini (JMM) – 5.3.4
    MacBook (JMB) – 5.3.4
    iPhone (JiPh) – 5.3.3
    iPad (JiPad) – 5.3.3

I have a TapForms document on each, syncing correctly via IBM Cloudant between each item of hardware.

My wife has the following bits of hardware – running the versions of TapForms as detailed:

MacBook (PMB) – 5.3.4
    iPhone (PiPh) – 5.3.3
    iPad – (PiPad) – 5.3.3

On PMB, my wife has a document called Shared. This is also on PiPh and PiPad, and syncs correctly with all her hardware.

She has also shared this with me, and it is on all of JMM, JMB, JiPh, JiPad. On my hardware, the syncing details are:

Cloudant User Name – J
    Cloudant Password – J
    Shared By User – P
    AutoSync – Yes

Whenever my wife makes changes, these are reflected on PMB, PiPh, PiPad, JiPh, JiPad. However, the changes are NOT reflected on JMM or JMB.

If I make a change on JMM or JMB, this is reflected on JMM & JMB, but not on PMB, PiPh, PiPad, JiPh, JiPad.

If I make a change on JiPh, this is reflected on PMB, PiPh, PiPad, JiPh, JiPad, but not on JMM or JMB

I have tried deleting the database on JMM and/or JMB, and sending it again from PMB, but this makes no difference to the syncing.

Additionally, I have checked the Document name quoted on the left of the Preferences/Sync window, (and also in the sync set-upĀ on the iPhones and iPads), and all appear identical.

Help!!!

With best wishes

John

November 23, 2018 at 8:40 AM #31966

John Scoble
    Participant

Brendan

I forgot to add – if my wife signs in to her IBM Cloudant account on the web, it shows all permissions granted to my IBM Cloudant account against the appropriate database.

With best wishes

John

November 23, 2018 at 1:35 PM #31974

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Hmm… It is possible that IBM has changed something in their sync system since I wrote the code to support their multi-user sync system.

I would recommend perhaps just using one account username and password to sync this particular document rather than trying to share across users. You could both just enter the same username and password into Tap Forms and remove the username in the “Shared by user” field.

Hopefully that’ll work better for you.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 24, 2018 at 8:13 AM #32019

John Scoble
    Participant

Many thanks, Brendan, for your work around suggestion.

We have changed my two computers (JMM & JMB) to sync using my wife’s password. Problem solved – all hardware now appears to be syncing correctly.

However, I am curious, because I left the iOS items (JiP & JiPad) with the shared password details. The changes to the data I made on my MacMini (JMM) both before and after the IBM User name changes have now synced correctly to all hardware.

Either there is something wrong with JMM & JMB, or maybe if IBM made a change, it only affected hardware using OS and not iOS. Could it be a change brought in with OS10.14.1 – Mojave?

With best wishes

John

November 24, 2018 at 2:45 PM #32024

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

I don’t think the macOS version would make a difference, but you never know.

I’m glad it’s working for you now.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.