Great app BUT with a BIG handycap = data are not secured

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Great app BUT with a BIG handycap = data are not secured

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi TapForms-Support,

I have tried “Tap Forms Lite” with my 3GS and in the begining I was very very happy to have found this app in the AppStore. I got pretty soon convinced to buy this App but fortunatelly I have noticed a very critical issue and constrain.

If you access directly to the sql datafile the data entered in TapForms can be read by anybody with a simple viewer. Well, if you could imagine this is not exactly my understanding with “Tap Form uses AES-256bit encryption”.

However, the data in the database file can be read with a simple viewer AND the pictures within TapForms are absolutely not protected. They can be simply found in a directory into the iphone.

With this very big restriction I cannot use this App within my company or personal use. I need to ensure that confidential data is safe even if the iPhone get stolen.

Are there any plans to get this one corrected? If yes I will be glad to buy this app for my daily use.

Best regards,

Francis A. Valfort

November 2, 2009 at 1:22 AM #3815

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Francis,

The photos and files you upload to Tap Forms are not encrypted.

For the data, the app uses field-level encryption in the database. So you will see plain-text for those fields that are not encrypted in the database and garbage characters for the forms That’s why you are seeing plain strings in the database file itself. I plan on adding full database level encryption to a future update. But this will require you to enter the encryption key every time you access the application.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.