Graph view

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hans
    Participant

Is there some documentation about how to use the graph-view? (see print)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 3, 2020 at 1:42 AM #39701

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Hans,

Hmm… I really need to write something up for that.

Did you try changing the settings on it?

The first thing you need to do is select a field for the X Axis Field setting. Then set the Series fields. There’s a popup button. You’ll get a bar colour for each field selected. That’ll be the values that you display on the Y axis for the fields.

See my screenshot for an example.

If you have any specific questions about it, I’d be happy to answer them.

Thanks,

Brendan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 3, 2020 at 3:18 AM #39705

Hans
    Participant

Thanks for helping me out. I’m ashamed… didn’t notice the settings bar when clicking on the graph view…
    Playing with it now, works great, going to try out settings to achieve the best results (grouping is the key I understand)
    One thing I cannot find and that is how to give colors to the bars. I saw in your screenshot colors :-)

March 3, 2020 at 10:20 AM #39706

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Colour is based on the field colour setting in your form.

March 3, 2020 at 10:55 AM #39707

Hans
    Participant

I guessed so but it didn’t seem to work. I now found out that you have to click on another field to ‘execute’ the change of colour. Works nice now, thanks!

March 3, 2020 at 1:02 PM #39709

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

It can be a little finicky to pick up changes and I forget to hit “Save” some of the time which doesn’t help.

I wish there were a different colour setting for the chart because I don’t like having to change the colours of my fields as that impacts other areas. Having spent lots of quality time with other graphing utilities, something like an automatic colour palette (e.g. tools like Cacti) would be amazing for me.

In playing with this recently the other thing that I realised bothered me was that for my time series data I want to see the most recent first in the results list. This however leads to the most recent stuff being on the left with left to right going backwards in time. An ability to flip the X axis would be nice because then I can keep the most recent entries at the top of the form like I want to see and whilst the chart still renders correctly.

It is however a powerful feature, it replaced an ElasticSearch/Kibana use case I had to visualise the same data that was in Tap Forms.

March 3, 2020 at 1:29 PM #39711

Hans
    Participant

Sure is a very nice feature Sam. I don’t see it as a graph-feature, but as a view for my records. I easily can see the charts and can click on the bars to get the records.
    I plan to make an export to Excel where I can make more complex graphs.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.