Ghost Favorites?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

The number badge next to Favorites in the side bar shows a quantity of 13, but I’m pretty sure that the actual number is 0, as correctly indicated in the records column and the details area. Any idea what’s going on here? I quit and restarted TF5, but the problem persists. Screen shot attached.

Prior to doing the screen capture, the number badge showed 27 and there were 14 records listed. I unchecked the Star button for each displayed record, which got me down to the current display of 13 and 0.

Thanks,
    Mike

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 17, 2017 at 10:48 PM #21188

Brendan
    Keymaster

Strange.

If you’d be willing to email me a backup of your document I can investigate this further for you.

February 18, 2017 at 12:08 PM #21195

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Brendan, thanks for the offer, and sorry in advance for the lengthy post. Due to concerns about private information contained in the database, I attempted to sanitize it prior to sending it to you. The document in question is the Sample Forms document, to which I have added 4 custom forms. I tried the following:
    1) Exported my 4 custom forms as tfarc files, them imported them into a fresh database document. Curiously, during the import process, the third form did not appear under My Forms but did appear under All Forms, even though the Hide Form box was unchecked. But when I added the 4th form, both the 3rd and the 4th forms appeared under My Forms. Odd.
    2) I played around in my fresh database document, checking and unchecking Favorite for various records in each of the 4 forms, and the Favorites item in the side bar maintained correct counts.
    3) Confident that my data was safe, I deleted all 4 custom forms from the Sample Forms document. After doing so, it still showed the same problem of 13 ghost favorites as in the prior screen shot. So I thought I had a sanitized file to send to you that still manifests the problem. But…
    4) I quit TF5 and looked in the Library subfolder that holds the database documents and backups. The Sample Forms.tapforms document was 246 MB and the most recent .zip backup file was 226 MB, same as numerous prior backups. These file sizes reflect one of my custom forms, which has a lot of photos in it. So that raises a concern: Even though I deleted my custom forms, is the information still buried in the database document? Why didn’t the file shrink back down to 30 MB or so? Should there be a function to compact the database?
    5) I think that going forward I’ll just maintain the second database document for my custom forms. How would I “reset” the Sample Forms document to its pristine state? There must be some corruption in there, now. I looked at the Template Exchange Forum and found your Default Tap Forms Templates post. But that looks like it provides a set of individual form template files that need to be imported one at a time. It would be handy to be able to download the original Sample Forms.tapforms file. Less work, and it contains the sample records that came originally. If I had a spare computer I suppose I could do a fresh install from the App Store and then copy the database file, but I don’t. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

February 18, 2017 at 12:33 PM #21197

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Ouch! I just spent an hour composing a lengthy message and posting it. It appeared in the thread, then I clicked Edit to fix a typo, and resubmitted. But now it appears to have vanished. Is it really gone? Maybe this post will refresh the forum and bring it back.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.