Getting seconds from a date

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Stefan de Graaf
    Participant

Hey all,

Hopefully a quick question: I’m trying something along the lines of this in a script field (based on a different date field):

let dateField = record.getFieldValue('fld-060389f539934aa9b7163c7a8b7a4cd1');
    let delta = Math.abs(givenDate.getTime() - new Date().getTime()) / 1000;

In JS, you can use getTime on a date object, but it seems you can’t do this with a Tap Forms date field’s value: TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating ‘givenDate.getTime’), line:(null)

Is there a way to do this? Also tried creating a new Date() from the field’s value but that didn’t seem to work.

Thank in advance!

October 7, 2020 at 3:47 PM #42200

Daniel Leu
    Participant

This works for me:

var date_created_id = 'fld-48f7c35e885c4d0db937b510c34d94f9';

var dataField = record.getFieldValue(date_created_id);

let delta = Math.abs(dataField.getTime() - new Date().getTime()) / 1000;
    console.log(delta)

I noticed that in your example you assign something to dateField but then later you use givenDate.

October 7, 2020 at 4:37 PM #42201

Stefan de Graaf
    Participant

Thanks for the help! Ah that was a copy-paste mistake indeed (older version of the script). I tried it with your version but keep getting the same “TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating ‘dataField.getTime’), line:(null)” error. And the date field is a regular date field (only the name has been changed) and has a date set. Will have to play around some more tomorrow.

October 7, 2020 at 5:51 PM #42204

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

The undefined is not an object error would generally indicate the field is empty or hasn’t been set yet when referring to dataField there. When a field value for a record isn’t set, getFieldValue will return an undefined value.

To handle that situation, you can wrap it in an if statement to see if it’s set to a value before continuing:

var date_created_id = 'fld-48f7c35e885c4d0db937b510c34d94f9';

var dataField = record.getFieldValue(date_created_id);

if (dataField) {
        let delta = Math.abs(dataField.getTime() - new Date().getTime()) / 1000;
        console.log(delta)
    } else {
        console.log("Date not set");
    }

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.