Getting a NULL result on a calculation

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Oakwine
    Participant

I am attempting to perform a calculation on a numeric field that sometimes contains NULL values. I would like the calculation (60*field1/field2) to give the result NULL for a record where that field1 is NULL, but instead I’m getting a 0. I tried if(field1 is NULL, NULL, 60*field1/field2), but that didn’t work either.

June 14, 2017 at 2:24 PM #23517

Brendan
    Keymaster

If you don’t need to use the Calculation field in anything else, you could have it return Text instead and use IFEMPTY(Field 1, "", 60*Field 1/Field 2)

Then you’ll get an empty string as the result or the value otherwise.

June 14, 2017 at 3:25 PM #23520

Oakwine
    Participant

I was planning to run an average of the calculated value (one-to-many relationship). Since there are old records for which I won’t have an entry for field1, I want to exclude those records from the results, otherwise the average will be incorrectly low.

June 14, 2017 at 9:33 PM #23524

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ll have to make some changes to the Math parser then because right now it returns either a String or a double. And a double can’t be nil.

June 15, 2017 at 7:18 AM #23527

Oakwine
    Participant

This isn’t critical, so I can wait. Thanks for figuring this out for me!

June 22, 2017 at 8:13 PM #23572

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Oakwine,

Maybe you can create another calculation field called “field1NOTempty” on your child form that returns a value of 0 if your 60*field1/field2 calculation field has the value of zero, and a value of 1 if the calculation field is not zero. Then on the parent form, instead of using an AVERAGE function on the calculation field, compute TOTAL(calculation field) divided by TOTAL(field1NOTempty).

— Mike

June 27, 2017 at 8:16 AM #23612

Oakwine
    Participant

(I was away for a bit)

Mike, thanks, that was so close to what I needed. My ‘field1NOTempty’ needed to be calculated using Brendan’s IFEMPTY(field1,0,1) instead (because 0 and NULL are separate possible values for field1), then I could use your second formula correctly.

So now it works! Thanks everyone!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.