Fundamental misunderstanding.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Michael LeBlanc
    Participant

I bought TF for iPad a couple days ago and have been playing around with it ever since, with zero success getting relationships to do what I think they’re supposed to do. It reduces to this: Records in form A have a link-to (M2M) field to records in form B; I create a record in form B; I create a record in form A; I tap the link-to field in the form A record and it displays nothing. It says there are no form B records available to link to.

This behavior is not just in the things I am trying to create. Today I imported Kathleen Tesluk’s Genealogical Research System templates, posted on 3/23/16 in the exchange forum. This process was rather counterintuitive to me, but TF said it imported everything with no problems.

I created an “Ancestor”, then a “Document”. In the latter, I tapped the link-to-Ancestor field and it tells me there are no Ancestor records to link to.

So … Help! What am I doing wrong?

April 7, 2016 at 11:16 PM #16304

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

For a many-to-many Link to Form field you can link to existing records created the child form. But after you’ve tapped on the field in your parent record, there will be a checkmark button at the top-right of the list. Tap on that to let you select from the set of child records available to you.

For a one-to-many Link Type you have to create the record from the parent record. So you would tap on the + button on the popover to create a new child record.

The linked records don’t appear automatically. You have to link them up yourself otherwise Tap Forms wouldn’t know which child records are supposed to go with which parent records unless you tell it.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 8, 2016 at 6:31 AM #16306

Michael LeBlanc
    Participant

Thanks. I missed the little checkmark. Now it’s doing what I expected.

I think my misunderstanding stems from the parent-child model. Using the ancestry forms as an example, I see the Ancestor as the parent form, Document as the child. But that’s backwards, as the former contains a linked-from field, the latter a linked-to field.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.