Full size photos not syncing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Kristen Moreland
    Participant

I have approx. 221 records spread across 5 forms. Not all records have pictures but the ones that do can have up to 3 pictures. On my Mac the thumbnails and full size pictures are present for all the records that should have them. I have found on my iPhone though that while all the thumbnails have synced across not all the full size pictures have. Just spot checking a third to half of the full size pictures have. On the ones which do not have the full size picture, when I click on the thumbnail I get asked to pick an image source (camera or photo albums). If the full size picture is there when I click on the thumbnail I get shown the full size image. I’ve tried resetting the iCloud sync. I’ve deleted the app from my phone, redownloaded and resynced all with the same results. Any ideas of other things to try to get all of the full size images to sync? Thanks!

-Kristen

November 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM #7820

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kristen,

Tap Forms will look for photos in 2 different places. But it depends on whether or not iCloud Sync is enabled in Tap Forms.

If iCloud Sync is OFF, then Tap Forms looks in this local folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.tapforms.mac/Data/Documents/Photos

If iCloud Sync is ON, then tap Forms looks in this iCloud folder:

~/Library/Mobile Documents/FXLPHZS84D~com~clickspace~tapforms/Documents/Photos

It would be interesting to know if you can see all the photos in there that you expect to have. Although I realize it will be hard to tell.

There are equivalent folders on your iOS device that store the photos. If you were to turn off iCloud without choosing the “Keep a Local Copy” option that appears (or by deleting the app and re-installing, Tap Forms would look for the photos in the local directory, not the iCloud (Mobile Documents) directory.

When you enabled iCloud Sync, Tap Forms will copy all the photos from the local Photos folder over to the iCloud folder. At that point it’s up to iCloud to sync the photos to your other devices. So your other devices should eventually get all the photos that are there on your Mac.

One question I have is, when you see the photo on your Mac which is not on your iPhone, is it really the full photo you’re seeing or is it just the preview image? To verify that, click on the QuickLook button to view the full-sized photo. Tap Forms generates a thumbnail image which gets stored in the database file itself, plus a preview image for the Mac and iPad versions, plus there’s the original photo file itself.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM #7821

Kristen Moreland
    Participant

Brendan,

Thanks for the quick response. No photos in ~/Library/Containers/com.tapforms.mac/Data/Documents/Photos. In fact I don’t even have a photos folder. I do have photos in ~/Library/Mobile Documents/FXLPHZS84D~com~clickspace~tapforms/Documents/Photos. It looks like they’re all there. I know for certain some of them which are missing off the iPhone are there as I specifically went looking for them. (226 photos, ~190MB) On my Mac if I hit the QuickLook button on one of the photos which is missing on the phone, it does pull up the photo. I checked a couple of them that are missing and they all pull up the photo if I hit the QuickLook button.

I also double checked free space on the phone just to make sure I wasn’t getting close. 13.1GB available so I have plenty of space on the phone. iCloud I’m showing 3.6GB free so I’ve got space there.

On my phone I went into settings -> iCloud -> Storage & Backup -> Manage Storage -> Tap Forms Organizer and S… In that list I found one of the photos which is missing in full size on the phone (didn’t check others that I know are missing) so the photos are making into iCloud.

-Kristen

November 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM #7835

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kristen,

Ok, so if everything is fine on the Mac you could try a backup on your Mac and then a Restore to your iPhone. You shouldn’t always have to do that, but it seems that it might be necessary just this once. Turn off iCloud Sync on your iPhone and then do the Restore. Then turn it on after the restore is done.

You can use iTunes File Sharing to get the backup file onto your iPhone. Just stick it into the root of the Tap Forms Documents area in iTunes.

This link will tell you how to get to iTunes File Sharing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4094?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Although the screenshots on that page are for an older version of iTunes, the idea is the same.

Once you get the backup file onto your iPhone go to the Backup & Restore area on your iPhone and tap on the file. Then tap on the red Restore Backup button which will appear then. Now go check to see if your photos are on the records they should be on.

You can re-enable iCloud Sync after that too. Tap Forms will re-upload the photos to iCloud, but since they have the same file name as the other photos that are already there, it will essentially just overwrite them with the same files.

Let me know how that goes.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.