Forms List Total Record count displaying n-1

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Forms List Total Record count displaying n-1

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

brucel
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    I’ve found a strange problem that causes the Forms List total record count for one of my large forms to display n-1 records.
    I’ve attached a screenshot to illustrate. Its the Recipes form. The actual number of records is 675 but the Forms List shows 674.
    This only occurs with this particular form but the problem is entirely consistent across all my icloud synced i-devices and on both iMacs.
    All are running the latest versions and I have done a vacuum db, analyse, rebuild index & rebuild search index (a couple of times).

The odd thing is that if I change the group records by setting it correctly displays for a while but as soon as I sync the db it reverts to n-1. I tried doing this on all devices but it eventually reverts on sync.

Any ideas?
    thanks
    Bruce (from Aus)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 14, 2015 at 1:00 AM #15216

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bruce,

If you add a new record, does it jump to 676?

That form count is stored in a separate column in the database. It does get updated when you add a record or after you sync. Tap Forms counts the records in the database and updates that value after a sync operation.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 14, 2015 at 2:04 AM #15217

brucel
    Participant

Brendan
    Yes it does increment to 676 when a new record is added but it later reverts to (in this case 675) after a sync.
    regards
    Bruce

December 11, 2015 at 5:47 PM #15451

brucel
    Participant

Hi Brendan
    I have been looking further into this problem.
    I tried doing a sync reset and then changed the “First Sort Field” using “Sort & Group Settings” which fixed the problem on the iPad I was using (changing any sort or group settings does this).
    I then enabled sync again on all devices (3 iPhones, 2 iPads and 2 iMacs!) and then forced a sync from the iPad.
    Almost instantly the total record count in the forms list changed back to n-1.

Do you have any other suggestions on how I might fix this.
    I am thinking of doing a full backup and an erase & reinstall on each IOS device as outlined in #14543 but don’t want to do this unless you think it will fix the problem. I was reading article #14543 because I also have some locally stored unreferenced files I want to get rid of but which keep reappearing because they must be locally stored on an iPad. So if I can fix both problems by doing this I will.

thanks & regards
    Bruce

December 12, 2015 at 10:26 AM #15452

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Bruce,

I haven’t had much time to dig into this issue actually. Sorry about that.

I don’t remember if I asked you this before, but is it that the counts are just off between the devices or is it that you’re actually missing a record on one of your devices?

Also I’m working on a new sync system, so this issue should be a thing of the past once I’m done that.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 12, 2015 at 11:54 PM #15453

brucel
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    I noticed when trolling the forum yesterday that you are working on a new sync system so I’m happy to wait for that.

TO answer your question, the count problem is happening on all devices. I don’t believe there are missing records but I only checked this on 2 devices. It appears to be an inconsistency between the record count in the different views.

regards
    Bruce

December 4, 2016 at 2:25 PM #20542

brucel
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Curiously this issue was solved as you predicted with V5 and Cloudant sync but just over the last week a similar issue has appeared.
    I have 5 IOS devices and 2 iMacs running the same db. All devices are running the latest OS and all are running the latest Tapforms version. All are synced to cloudant.
    The issue is in the display of the number of records at the right side of the form name in the form window/view. In one of my forms (recipes) the number of records display on the form window/view is N+1. ie there are actually 799 records and it is displaying 800. This only occurs in this particular form and it was the same form with the N-1 issue in V4 which was migrated across to V5 months ago when you first released V5.
    Most curiously, one of my iMacs does continue to display the correct number in both places. All other devices exhibit the problem.
    I attach screenshots of the iMac and one of the IOS devices to illustrate the problem. The correct number of records is 799. When adding another record, both numbers increment but the issue remains.

Any ideas would be welcomed!
    Kind regards
    Bruce

Attachments:
    December 4, 2016 at 2:28 PM #20545

brucel
    Participant

Third photo showing the IOS db records display with the correct number of records (799)

December 4, 2016 at 2:30 PM #20546

brucel
    Participant

Screenshot file size of screenshot from iPad Pro is too large to upload. Time to increase the file size restriction I think.
    Trying again slightly edited to make it smaller.

Attachments:
    December 4, 2016 at 8:37 PM #20548

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can fix this anomaly by changing the First Sort Field to something else then change it back to what it was. Then close the document, then open the document again.

December 5, 2016 at 6:22 AM #20552

brucel
    Participant

Brendan,
    Thanks – that did the trick.
    Thanks again for a great db app.
    Kind regards
    Bruce

December 5, 2016 at 7:17 AM #20553

John Mosbarger
    Participant

One particular form in my image database has a similar issue in the multi-column list view. Clicking on another sort field and changing back to the first fixes the problem. However, when I close the app and reopen it, the anomaly reappears. It’s not a big deal, but a curiousity.

Regards,
    John

Attachments:
Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.