Forms List Fields Out of Sync?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

John Scoble
    Participant

Hi Brendan

My wife has a Document with a form called Memory Verses. This has 14 records. However, the last two records appear to be out of sync, as the field contents showing in the Forms List is different from that showing in the Layout.

It appears that there may be an additional record hidden between 13 and 14.

I exported the form from my wife’s database as an archive, and this is attached.

I subsequently imported the form to a test document, and then tried amending the Title Field for record 13, by adding “XXX” to the end. This seems to have forced the field to show correctly in the Forms List, but the Passage field is still showing incorrectly.

Have we done anything wrong, or is there a corruption in the document/form?

I hope you can help.

With best wishes

John

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 14, 2018 at 12:32 PM #26979

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Ya, this is really weird. There seems to be 3 records which don’t match between the list view and the record details view.

I’m not sure why yet, but I’m working on it.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 14, 2018 at 1:08 PM #26980

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, I understand what’s going on now. I don’t know how it happened, but the way Tap Forms stores Note fields is it stores a plain text version of it as well as a rich text version of the same note. The list view always displays the plain text version of the content and the details view shows the rich text version of the content.

So what has happened with 3 of your records, is that Note field has gotten out of sync with the plain text version of the note value. How this happened I don’t know.

But what you could do to fix it is to edit the Title and Passage fields slightly. Even just putting a space after the content then saving will update the value displayed on the records list view. That’ll cause the rich text to get updated and the plaintext version of the content to also get updated. That’ll put your data back in sync again between the list view and the details view.

January 15, 2018 at 10:07 AM #26986

John Scoble
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan.

To take this a little further, how many records can you see when you look at the underlying data? I see 14 records through Tap Forms. However, I only see two records which are out of sync, although there are three lots of differing data between between the two records.

Are you able to see the rest of the missing data from the “invisible” record? It appears that apart from the List View for the final record , which has “Why don’t you understand”, the rest of the data for that listed record cannot be seen. Can you see (and if so, restore it to a valid record)?, or has it disappeared into the ether?

I don’t know what caused this to happen. Pam has not used the form for a while, and just found the error when we were looking at various forms.

With best wishes

January 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM #26989

Brendan
    Keymaster

There are 14 records in the form.

The out of sync records are 2, 13, and 14.

There’s no invisible record that I can see. It looks like the content for record 14 belongs with record 13 though. If you look at the content in the list view on record 13, then look at record 14’s details view, you’ll see it belongs there.

The only thing I can suggest is to edit the Title and Passage fields even slightly, by just adding a space character to it and then save. That’ll update the value displayed on the list view to match what’s on the details view. Also, you could probably change the Title field to be a Text field instead of having it as a Note field. The title probably doesn’t need carriage returns and other rich text formatting in it.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 21, 2018 at 4:27 PM #27089

John Scoble
    Participant

Thanks for checking for an invisible record, Brendan.

I’ll follow your suggestion and edit the fields. Another mystery!!!?

John

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.