forms linking key

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

gzamba
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I know I have asked you something similar before, but this has become critical to my database solution so I need to have some answers before I continue…
    A year ago I asked for your help, when after importing a friend’s form to evaluate it, my own forms disappeared or better still where replaced with my friend’s forms (as his were based on an early version of mine)…
    I managed to restore my forms and data back then, but in the process, all subforms linked to the main form where mixed-up, and it has been impossible to restore the correct links.
    I abandoned tapforms for a while and I have just decided to give it another go, as I see that your program has matured and looks like it will be just what I need for my patients database…
    My problem is that when I create linked forms, such as patient visits, operations, lab tests etc, there is no visible field that links these subforms to the main form.
    so, when I look at one of these subforms, it is sometimes difficult to know which patient it belongs to… My main concern is that if there is another mishap like the one I had last year, the linked forms could be “unlinked” again…
    I thought of entering the patient’s name or patient ID on each of the subforms, but this is a loooooot of work since I have more than 2000 patients, with an average of 8 subforms linked to each form…
    Is there any way to automate this process or some other way by which I could identify where each subform belongs to?

Many thanks for your help and an excellent product
    Happy New Year

December 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM #8543

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Gzamba,

I plan on adding a “Link FROM Field” type in a future update which would automate the process of linking records back to their parent records. But I haven’t begun work on that yet. This would enable you to see which records a record has been linked to. Also known as an inverse relationship.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.