First Import Didn't Include Entire Database

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms First Import Didn't Include Entire Database

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Tristan Katz
    Participant

Hi,

I just bought and downloaded Tap Forms yesterday and imported a .csv file containing more than 20,000 contacts. Once the import was complete, Tap Forms only showed 17,991 of those contacts.

What am I missing?

November 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM #11604

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Tristan,

It probably skipped some that had special/accented characters in their names. You need to check the file encoding of the file you’re trying to import and set Tap Forms to use that same file encoding. Then it will be able to recognize the values with the special/accented characters.

Depending on where the CSV file came from, you would need to set the File Encoding on the import screen to either Mac Roman, Windows Latin 1, or UTF-8. Those are the most common file encodings.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM #11607

Tristan Katz
    Participant

Brendan,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The file I’m importing is a .csv export from Bento. Do you know which encoding I should choose?

Thanks,
    Tristan

November 5, 2014 at 8:26 PM #11621

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Tristan,

You may be better off using the Export Template function from Bento rather than exporting the CSV file. Unless your Bento version is too old and doesn’t have the Export Records along with the Export Template option. That was a version 4 feature I believe.

I just did a test export from Bento to a CSV file and for me anyway, it looks like it exported the File Encoding as UTF-8.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM #11638

Tristan Katz
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan! It looks like your suggestion (to use Bento’s Export Template function) worked well! I appreciate your prompt responses!

I do find that Tap Forms is rather slow. I’m consistently seeing the beach ball while using the program and there is a substantial delay. I’m hoping that, with future updates, the app will run a bit smoother?

Tristan

November 6, 2014 at 1:47 PM #11641

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tristan,

My 3.0.1 update will improve the performance. And for a longer term update I’ve designed a new database model will will significantly speed things up even further.

I’m sending the 3.0.1 update to Apple for review this weekend.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 6, 2014 at 1:55 PM #11642

Tristan Katz
    Participant

Great! Thanks, Brendan!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.