Finding an AVERAGE number in 1-200 fields

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Finding an AVERAGE number in 1-200 fields

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Opi Data
    Participant

How do you find the average of the numbers in several fields???

I have several complex scripts in Filemaker, which I find cannot be done in Tap Forms such as inputting a message into a field IF a number in a field is < or > than a certain number or IF an average number is too far off from other average numbers in other fields of averages. From what I can tell, this cannot be done and it’s back to Filemaker.

Let’s just start with finding an AVERAGE. I would like to find the average of numbers in several fields; but only IF there is a number in each field.
    ie – the AVERAGE of 100 fields containing 5, blank, 4,4,3,5, blank, blank, blank, blankā€¦ is 4.2 (the blank fields don’t count as ‘0’)

How can this be done????

December 3, 2015 at 2:43 AM #15388

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Opi,

You can ask Tap Forms to calculate the Average by selecting Average from the Summary Calculation function on a Number or Calculation field.

There’s no IF statements for non-numeric values. So you can’t have a text value injected into a field based on a comparison. FileMaker has a huge scripting language built-in to it so that’s why they’re able to do advanced stuff like that. I have a basic math parser in Tap Forms that can do some things, but not as much as FileMaker.

An IF statement would look like this:

IF(Price > 100, 1.05, 0.0)

That will return 1.05 if the Price is greater than 100. Otherwise it will return 0.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.