filtered dropdowns/picklists and more

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

threnos
    Participant

hi there,

first of all i tested nearly all apps i can create a form with and i think none is as good as tapforms for me.

i use it as a tool to catch the inventory of e.g. a house. it works well for me, but there are some points i need a little help:

is there a possibility to create/use filtered dropdowns/picklists?

what i want to do is first to select e.g. bmw or porsche and in the second step i can select the modell (911,924,…)

i saw that there is a way that i can autmatically count a field (e.g. how many kilometers the car has driven). is it possible that there is a counting on a second field too (e.g. the litres needed for a certain route)?

last i wonder if it is possible to include a field with e.g. a handwriting or a small drawing.

thanks for your help & greetings from germany

rick

July 18, 2011 at 4:16 PM #4671

lgol27
    Participant

I personally chain the names of items in the same pick list. For example, I would had had a pick list like that:

bmw

bmw – 323

bmw – 330

bmw – M3

porsche

porsche – 911

porsche – 924

BMW and Porsche items are for general use, when the specific model is unknown or irrelevant.

But nested pick lists could an interesting concept. You can link 2 pick lists together to define parent-child relationship. So when you pick a value from a parent pick list, the child pick list is limited to a subset of its values. So every time you add a new value to a parent pick list, you have to define a corresponding subset in the child. The parent-child relationship is confined to a specific form. Unless you are using this form, the pick lists look like normal pick lists.

July 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM #4674

Brendan
    Keymaster

But is that across fields or within the same field? If it’s in the same field, do the pick list values just get comma delimited and dumped into the text field? E.g. “Solstice, GXP”? or “BMW, M3”?

July 18, 2011 at 5:36 PM #4676

lgol27
    Participant

The question is about cross-field relations.

July 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM #4677

Brendan
    Keymaster

Thanks Igol27. I understand now. That would be a good feature to have. I’ll add it to the list.

August 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM #10679

Ken Gillett
    Participant

Hmm, did we get anywhere with this Brendan? Sounds like a very useful feature (I could certainly use it).

August 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM #10680

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ken,

No, I’m sorry I haven’t. I’ve been very busy with iOS 8 and Yosemite compatibility this past while. I also can’t guarantee that I will add every feature requested. I do see the value in cascading Pick Lists, but I also see the value in a lot of other features too. So I just can’t make guarantees about what gets in an update and what doesn’t. Sorry for dashing your hopes.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 15, 2022 at 6:33 AM #46304

H D
    Participant

Hi Brendan
    Has there been any progress on filtered picklists? I’m looking to filter a list of staff, drawn from another form, where they are marked as ‘current staff’

Thanks

Henry

January 15, 2022 at 5:24 PM #46307

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

You can use scripting to build something like this today with the prompter and a saved search.

Create a new saved search with the criteria that you’re interested in and then you can use this to create a prompter with just the options and set the field from there. It’s not as transparent in the UI and does require executing a form script but it does give you some of the same functionality.

I’ve been trying to find a good example on the forum but don’t see one, I don’t think I have a video on it either. Might be something for the backlog.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.