Filemaker “portal”

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

John H2Only
    Participant

Going to do it… after 25 years, I am packing in FMP, and my current front-runner is, you guessed it, TapForms. We Canadians need to stick together, eh?

I’m likely to have many questions, so please accept this as my apology for that. ;)

First one: is there a reasonable way in TF (can I do that?) to replicate the ‘portal’ method in FMP? I am a bit addicted to using windows to related data in layouts.

(Side note/intro: I am coming out of retirement to redevelop the database, and create other solutions, for our bottled water business in the Niagara region. I will be downloading TP in the next few weeks, tho not yet, as I am otherwise buried ATM, and will be seeing if it works for me.)

July 31, 2021 at 11:19 PM #44881

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

If you have a Link to Form or Link from Form field, then you can drag those onto the layouts on MacOS. The Link to Form fields will display as a table view and the Link from Form field will display as either a table when the Link to Form field is set to many to many or join type or it’ll display a single record view with the list view settings for the target form when the Link to Form field is a one to many type.

Tap Forms has a default layout that has a similar display as well as the custom layouts available on MacOS.

August 1, 2021 at 11:34 AM #44884

John H2Only
    Participant

Thank you, Sam. I watched one of your vids on that topic last eve, and that seems quite similar to FMP’s implementation.

Probably best that I start messing with the app rather than drown this group with stupid questions, eh?

August 2, 2021 at 9:04 AM #44888

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

There is a 30 day demo available for download IIRC, I always find it’s useful to dive in and give it a spin. Plenty of samples on the forum of how to do stuff, the template exchange for ideas and a bunch of sample documents you can copy to get started from as well or just open up and see how they tick :)

Great to hear the video was useful, I’m behind on where I wanted to be there but the hope is it helps folk out.

August 2, 2021 at 9:55 AM #44891

John H2Only
    Participant

There is a 30 day demo available for download IIRC,

Yeah… as it turns out I had d/l’ed it some time ago. It had expired so I bought a license.

I’ve been kicking it around a bit the last couple of days, and I have no doubt that with y’alls help I will definitely get this sorted. Excited, actually. It’s been several years since I’ve done any real digi-work.

August 4, 2021 at 9:35 AM #44909

Brendan
    Keymaster

Thanks for purchasing Tap Forms John! Great to have another Canadian on board! ??????

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.