File won't sync to other Mac or device via iCloud

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms File won't sync to other Mac or device via iCloud

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

daffy
    Participant

Hi, I’ve got my main database on my iMac, I’m trying to sync it to my MacBook, iPhone and iPad.

The iPad synced fine and really quick, but the MacBook and iPhone are not syncing properly.

The MacBook gets stuck. The bottom right corner says it’s syncing but it only gets so far and then gets stuck.

The iPhone seems to have picked up an old version of the database that I thought I had deleted.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Cheers,
    Nicky

March 11, 2019 at 11:21 AM #33972

daffy
    Participant

I have been trying different things to get it to work today and I’m wondering if file size is having an impact.

I have been linking PDF files to the database, but noticed some of them are pretty large (over 5MB) could this be the cause of my problems?

I have compressed the database, but it’s still over 3GB.

Is there a way to include a link to my file without having the size of the file impact the database? My files are on a NAS drive and available from all my Macs and devices, so I only need the address/link to them, I don’t need the actual file to be held on the database.

This is currently how I add the files… (see screenshot)

Can I just delete the whole field to remove all of them from the database in one go?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 11, 2019 at 5:37 PM #33974

Brendan
    Keymaster

You could try the +-> button to add the files as an alias instead of attaching them into the database. Tap Forms will store only a placeholder file within the database, which won’t actually get synced.

3 GB is quite large and would take quite a while to sync with iCloud. It’s not the fastest of the sync services.

March 12, 2019 at 1:34 AM #33977

daffy
    Participant

I will try that. I have been dragging the files from Finder into the field on the database and didn’t realise I was creating more than just a link.

Thank you.

March 12, 2019 at 8:10 AM #33978

daffy
    Participant

Just to update, it is working fine now.

In case anyone has a similar problem in the future, remember to compact the database once you’ve removed things otherwise it will stay the same size. I didn’t do this the first time, but then I remembered.

Thanks Brendan.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.