File > Export > Form Template doesn’t export .tff, exports a .txt file

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms File > Export > Form Template doesn’t export .tff, exports a .txt file

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Zippidty Doodah
    Participant

… That will not show up (grayed out) when attempting File>Import>Form Template

Can’t figure out what I am doing wrong.

Using Version 5.3.35 (Build 1036) on Mac desktop

Thanks!

August 11, 2023 at 12:47 PM #49756

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hmmm… It should export a .tff file.

Try restarting Tap Forms and see if that solves it.

Or change the file extension to .tff and that should work.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 11, 2023 at 1:26 PM #49757

Zippidty Doodah
    Participant

Hi Brandon,

Had already restarted Tap Forms before posting. Still with same result.

Now have changed the file extension to .tff, the file now shows as one that cam be imported.

I am attempting to use the file template to create a new form within the same document that will use the same fields as the original but with new record information.

However, each File>Import>Form Template command (have done this 3 times) creates a new blank record in the original Form, contains no field information except for adding a new field with type Attachment, named Client list. No field Client List in original form that I am exporting as a template.

Don’t understand why I don’t get the option of which form to import the template and it’s fields into when I execute the File>Import>Form Template command.  I even have the blank form created and named, highlighted before I execute the command.  Still creates a new record in the original form that I exported the Form Template from.

For now I have imported the original Form’s exported records as .csv file and going through each record to delete the information.  giving up.  Too many records and fields to delete the information just to get a blank template.

August 11, 2023 at 9:24 PM #49768

Brendan
    Keymaster

Templates contain all the same internal identifiers as the original form that you exported. So re-importing the same template will have no effect on the form itself. It’s literally the same form you’re importing. So it just overwrites that form.

If you want a new form in the same document with the same structure, but empty, just use the Duplicate Form command. What you’re trying to accomplish with the export and import is exactly what the Duplicate Form command was designed to do. It just doesn’t need to export and import. It just does it for you.

August 11, 2023 at 9:24 PM #49769

Brendan
    Keymaster

But also, if you export a .tff file, you can import that template file into a different document if you like.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.