File changing name during sync with dropbox

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms File changing name during sync with dropbox

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

David Grames
    Participant

I have my dvd collection, and I label the jpeg file for the cover art work of the movies I own, and the format (example: Minions 2015-1080p(Bluray), or Toy Story 1999-480p(DVD)) So then I put it into my tapform database with other info since I can sync it across multiple phones, tablets, etc so I have it when I need it.

My issue: is when I sync it, and it backups to my dropbox folder it changes the name to some random grouping of numbers/letters instead of my original file name. (example: ITNDJ989X80GY984370HD instead of Minions 2015-1080p) so when I go looking for the file through the dropbox folder I can never find it because its changed the file name. Is there a way to avoid this or selecting an option in the settings?

I realize its a little redundant having the file in tapforms and wanting to access it in dropbox but it works for me..

January 16, 2016 at 8:20 PM #15693

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi David,

The file name is not changed during syncing, it’s changed at the time you add the photo to your Photo field. The reason it does this is because all photos are stored in the same folder. If I didn’t do that, you could set a photo on one record and use the same name for a different photo in a different record, but the second one would overwrite the first one, even if they were different photos, but with the same file name. Plus it helps with syncing because you need to have unique file names on all devices so there are no collisions during a sync.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 17, 2016 at 11:42 AM #15694

Cliff Tarrance
    Participant

Here’s a suggestion, though you might not love it. When you put a photo or other attachment into a tap forms record, it makes a copy of the original. If you want to access the images separately via dropbox, you could always copy the original there, as well. Of course then you have to create your own file structure and there’s no easy way to keep tap forms and the separate drop box structure in synch.

January 17, 2016 at 12:01 PM #15695

David Grames
    Participant

Cool.. good to know. Thanks for the answers and suggestions. I had planned on doing the separate dropbox folder, so I guess I will go with that option Cliff. Brendan thanks for the explanation.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.