File Attachment Field

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

John McArthur
    Participant

Hi,

Is there a way of putting in a ‘default’ file when using the ‘File Attachment’ field type?

I would like ALL records to be able to open/view the same file so a default or link to a specific file would be helpful.

Many thanks

December 20, 2021 at 4:02 PM #46128

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

There’s no Default Value feature for File Attachment fields at this time. Sorry.

However, you could add a Website Address field that uses a file Url to the file that you could link to. You can set a default value for Website Address fields.

set the url to something like: file:///Users/home/MyComputer/Desktop/testfile.txt

January 13, 2022 at 6:21 AM #46291

John McArthur
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    Sorry for the tardy ‘thank you’ but i’ve been a little distracted with other things.

What would cause the ‘File Attachment’ field NOT to create a link when the field is populated?

I have dragged/dropped a file into the field (it’s a pdf document) and it just remains as a field of characters rather than a link when double clicked. I also tried cut/paste without success too.

Thanks

January 13, 2022 at 4:31 PM #46295

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

I’m not sure what you mean by a field of characters? Can you send a screenshot?

Thanks,

Brendan

January 14, 2022 at 4:11 AM #46297

John McArthur
    Participant

Sorry, didn’t explain myself very well. The field of characters is just the file location and name of the document, ie the link info…see attachment.

Once the details have been populated into the field, I presume it should change it into a link. This isn’t occurring.

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 14, 2022 at 2:14 PM #46300

Brendan
    Keymaster

Are you clicking on the little folder open button to attach your file? If not, then do that.

You could also enable the Multi-File setting on your File Attachment fields to enable the other view of file attachments which allows for drag and drop.

January 15, 2022 at 5:30 AM #46303

John McArthur
    Participant

Hi,

Even though I stipulated the full file location, when I clicked on the Folder Button, the pop up box only showed the last location visited, not the file location in the field.

However, I have amended the File Attachment field to enable Multi-file and used the Alias option to insert the file and it has worked!

Many thanks for your guidance.

January 16, 2022 at 1:45 AM #46309

Brendan
    Keymaster

Excellent!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.