Feature Requests: Hidden Fields / Locked Records / Global Variables

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Feature Requests: Hidden Fields / Locked Records / Global Variables

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

DrJJWMac
    Participant

First — Tap Forms is a GREAT APP! I am finding more and more uses for it, and I really appreciate the hard work that is going in to it. Thanks!

I would like to be able to HIDE fields (of any type) from showing on the view of a record, especially intermediate calculation fields.

I would like to be able to LOCK records from further editing, especially to prevent accidentally overwriting what should be a “hard stored” database record.

Finally, I would like to be able to use GLOBAL variables in calculations. A simple example is to create a calculation field that shows a conversion patm = ppsi/pconvert, where ppsi is the field where I enter a value, patm is the field that is automatically updated, and pconvert is a defined global.

JJW

November 18, 2011 at 12:29 AM #4938

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Jeffrey,

Thanks for the feedback and feature requests.

Couldn’t your global variable just be another number field setup with a default value? You could also use a pick list attached to a number field if you have a bunch of constant values that you need to enter quickly. You could enter the value into the number field and your calculation field would be updated appropriately.

The lock and hide options are good ideas that I would like to get to eventually.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 18, 2011 at 7:24 PM #4940

DrJJWMac
    Participant

I see how the global could be fit in a number field with a default value. It would be nice then to have it hidden on the forms :-)

Perhaps an alternative is to create a database called “Constants” that has one record and containing “global” constants. The request I would have then would be to allow calculation fields to access records in databases that are outside themselves, eg “[patm] = [ppsi]/[Globals:convert]”.

Thanks!

JJW

October 26, 2015 at 5:16 AM #15080

guardajoias
    Participant

Global variables and the ability to access data from another form in calculations would be very useful. I hope yo can implement those as they would literally multiply the usefulness of tap forms!

thanks in advance for looking into that!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.