[Feature Request] Default Searching

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Stephen Abshire
    Participant

When the Mac application first loads I would love for the cursor to be positioned within the search box so I can initiate a search immediately. Also I would like for the search to default to “all forms” or at least let me configure that in the settings.

May 25, 2014 at 6:12 AM #10244

Jim Burgess
    Participant

You can quickly get to the search field with the ⌘-F shortcut, which makes more sense to me than starting there every time. E.g., I like it the current way, which is to start where you left off.

My point is everyone has their own preferred way to work. Rather than changing the software such that it affects everyone, providing quick access to features via shortcuts and/or preferences is a more usable approach, IMO.

A preference for all forms vs. current form would be handy.

May 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM #10246

Frank Tikket
    Participant

I agree with you Jim, i think bugs should be worked out for everybody… but personal feature requests (if at all implemented) should have an on/off toggle or be offered as an option and not implemented across the board to suit one user.

Lets think of everyone as a whole :-)

May 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM #10247

Stephen Abshire
    Participant

Yes I understand your concerns and am not proposing anything that changes how the software currently operates. My request is only that when the application starts the cursor would be positioned within the search box so that if I begin typing the searching interface would appear as normal.

Another feature I like from a competing product is the ability to sort records by name, type, or date. Type sorting would only work if a view was present that showed all records from all forms. Sorting by date [modified] is great because usually I need to access records that I recently modified.

May 26, 2014 at 2:07 AM #10248

Leo
    Participant

Hi Stephen,

this kind of sorting can be done. Just add a modified field date and set sorting to this field.

Leo

May 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM #10281

Brendan
    Keymaster

I don’t think having the cursor be in the Search field upon application launch is a standard behaviour in Mac apps. Take iTunes for example. You just have to press command-f to get the cursor to go into the Search field.

Thanks for the suggestion for the All Forms vs. selected Form default. Perhaps it should simply remember which was the last one you clicked on. Then you would have control over that sort of.

May 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM #10283

Stephen Abshire
    Participant

Ok I concede on the cursor issue I can deal with that. I do love your idea about making the last search type “single form vs all forms” the default for your installation.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.