Export is a Read Only File

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Colleen Easley
    Participant

I exported 1100 records to an excel file to send via email, but find that the properties on the file are ‘Read Only’ for everyone except for me. I was able to change that, but wonder why that would happen. Not only was it read only, but the error box was saying someone else was editing the file and when I deleted the file, it would not delete when I emptied the trash because, again, someone else was “using” the file.

This is a minor glitch, but still annoying. Any ideas how to fix?

March 2, 2015 at 4:00 PM #13056

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Colleen,

That’s interesting. I’ll have to do some experiments with that. I haven’t seen that issue before. It should just inherit the properties of the folder where you stored the file I believe.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 5, 2015 at 10:24 AM #13079

Colleen Easley
    Participant

OK, so here is a dumb question. I’ve been dropping it to my desktop, but I checked my desktop folder and another folder and it seems my permissions are all read/write for me, but read only for everyone else. Where is that setting coming from and how to change it?

March 5, 2015 at 2:18 PM #13082

Brendan
    Keymaster

Click on your home folder in the Finder, then press command-i to bring up the Get Info inspector window. You’ll see the permissions there. Read only is the normal setting for “others”.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.