Export challenges….

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

john cesta
    Participant

Two items I find challenging with the export function.

I create a filter choosing all my associate members and only viewing the contact name and email address.

I’m trying to create a CSU file for a group mail application.

I then export the records.

1. All the fields export, not just the ones in the view.
    2. The field column header contains the type of field. I only need the field name. The field type messes up the import and the new spreadsheet or wherever the export data was meant to go.

Can this be overcome?

Thanks,

September 12, 2019 at 8:23 AM #36728

john cesta
    Participant

I just searched and realized I already brought this up.

The solution is to click off each field for export.

September 12, 2019 at 8:29 AM #36729

john cesta
    Participant

Contact Name<text> Preferred Phone<phone> Preferred E-mail<email> Member Status<text> Source<text> Age<calc>

It wouldn’t hurt to eliminate the field type in the field name. Doesn’t make sense that it’s there, I don’t believe.

September 12, 2019 at 11:43 PM #36731

Brendan
    Keymaster

All of these things are optional on the Export Records screen. You can disable the Export Field Type Tags option if you don’t want field type tags to be included in the header. You can also, as you’ve discovered, disable individual fields for export.

September 13, 2019 at 4:24 PM #36735

john cesta
    Participant

I don’t see brenden where to turn off the export field type tags on my iPad Pro.

Thanks

September 13, 2019 at 5:14 PM #36737

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Look in Tools > Import & Export Settings. It is the third from the bottom: Field Type Tags. At least it is on my iPhone.

September 14, 2019 at 3:25 AM #36744

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yup, same place on iPad. But also I didn’t know which platform you were using, so I gave you the Mac instructions. It’s all on the same Export Records window on the Mac version. But the iOS version the settings are all in the Import & Export Settings screen in the Tools area, as Daniel has shown you.

September 22, 2019 at 2:08 PM #36836

john cesta
    Participant

Just a tip for the settings….

1. Instead of setting all the export setting to export set them to disable export. Then allow the user to only click the ones to export
    2. Or add a toggle switch to select all or none and then the user has the option of export.

I had this same functionality on the android dB I used. They had it coded the same way. But when one has many fields it’s time consuming to go into each one and set it.

Just an idea into the arena of already too many ideas.

J

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.