Exploding Backup File Size

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

John Mosbarger
    Participant

I have about a dozen forms, all for film images. The records have the usual what/where/when fields as well as processing/exposure info and a thumbnail (600×400 pixels). The 35mm slide form contains just over 12K records and the backup size is usually around 900kb. The latest backup was 7.4gb! This was the first backup since an OS X security update. I’m still using El Capitan since there are a couple of apps that don’t play well with Sierra. Bizarre indeed.

Regards,
    John

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 3, 2017 at 10:38 AM #25732

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

If you right-click on your .tapforms file in the Finder and then select the “Show Package Contents” function, then navigate into the “db-…cblite2” folder and then into the “attachments” folder, do you see a bunch of .blob files there?

You would be able to see how many of them there are and how big each one is.

That’s where all your usage is coming from.

November 3, 2017 at 12:09 PM #25736

John Mosbarger
    Participant

I expanded the backup .zip file, and navigated to the attachments folder. There were 11,689 .blob files totalling 8.27gb. The relevant form contains 12,107 records, not all with thumbnails. Apparently they have something to do with the thumbnails?

Regards,
    John

November 3, 2017 at 1:03 PM #25738

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes. If you select one of the blob files, sometimes the Finder will show you a preview of what’s in the image. How big are the files in general? You can also tell the Finder to sort them descending by file size.

November 3, 2017 at 1:30 PM #25740

John Mosbarger
    Participant

The file sizes vary from ~23kb to 101.3mb. The original scanned images are 101.3mb, so I may have added the original instead of the thumbnail. It seems like more than a coincidence.

Regards,
    John

November 3, 2017 at 3:24 PM #25742

Brendan
    Keymaster

Tap Forms Mac has a Resize All Photos function on the Photo field properties screen which you can use to scale all of the photos for that field across all records in that form. So that could help.

November 3, 2017 at 3:57 PM #25743

John Mosbarger
    Participant

What I found was nearly 100 images that had been added but were not thumbnail size, but the full size scanned image. So I deleted them from both the hard drive and TF, then re-added the correct image. That solved the bloat problem!

As always, thanks for the advice. It’s always appreciated.

Regards,
    John

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 3, 2017 at 6:36 PM #25745

Brendan
    Keymaster

Much better!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.