Excess storage on IOS

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

Laurent S
    Participant

I’m quite surprised..
    I have a 557 Mo datatabase on my Mac, with a nearby sync with my IOS devices (Ipad and iphone) when I Tap Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage :
    Tap forms is 1,1 Go ???

I checked there is no backup files or migration file

Do you have the same issue ?
    Thanks for your reply

August 16, 2016 at 2:14 AM #18694

Brendan
    Keymaster

Tap Forms 5 no longer uses iCloud for storage. That may be left over from the previous version. So if you still have the old version of Tap Forms installed, then it’s using that storage, not the new version.

August 16, 2016 at 2:54 AM #18696

Leo
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

on my iPhone TF uses also 1,8 GB, there is no old version on it.
    Database is about 250 MB

August 16, 2016 at 2:58 AM #18697

Brendan
    Keymaster

Check the name of the storage container. Is it Tap Forms Organizer 5? Or is it the old one?

August 16, 2016 at 7:32 AM #18705

Leo
    Participant

Tap Forms 5.02

August 16, 2016 at 8:35 AM #18708

Laurent S
    Participant

This subject has nothing to do with icloud
    In the settings
    Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage
    You can check, you have 2 distincts items :
    Storage and icloud
    We are talking about storage (internal memory of the device) not icloud.

Glad to see that I’m not alone :(

August 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM #18709

Stuart
    Participant

I see similar issues. I have a Tap Forms 5.0.1 and the older 4.0.7 versions installed. I don’t have any documents/databases in the new version yet and haven’t migrated. I also deleted the sample forms and “My Life” form from Tap Forms 5.0.1 yet it shows as utilising 170MB of local device storage on my iPad Air 2. The older Tap Forms 4 which contains my 3 forms and 100s of records is only utilising 36MB.

August 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM #18710

pmtsc
    Participant

This is not an issue on iOS restricted only to TF v5 I also noted very large file storage space on my iPhone 6s. for v4 and v5. When I deleted TF v4 off my phone it was the largest user of space at 7GB and v5 currently sits at 5.3Gb which is larger than all my photos combined.
    I have always accepted this as I have one database that is a journal that has a lot of small images so thought this was the cause.
    With separate documents available in TF v5 I introduced the various databases in steps leaving the journal to last, the amount of storage was still significant even before all databases were setup.
    TF is miles ahead of any other app on iOS on my phone for taking a lot of space.
    BRENDON, if you consider this an issue I’m happy to provide anything from my phone or TF that may help you. Thanks

August 16, 2016 at 2:33 PM #18711

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, sorry about that. I misunderstood and I’ll look into this.

It may be an issue with generating thumbnails or left over files from the migration. I’ll investigate this.

August 16, 2016 at 4:46 PM #18728

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve added some code to delete any junk in the tmp folder and also to delete the migration folder which was accidentally left around. I actually had code to remove it, but unfortunately Tap Forms was looking in the wrong spot for the folder to remove it after the migration completed. It will clean this up automatically after the next update. It will clear out any temp files each time the application is launched (from not being in memory yet).

August 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM #18732

pmtsc
    Participant

Thanks

August 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM #18738

Brendan
    Keymaster

If anyone wants to try out a beta version to see if this corrects your storage issue, please email me at support@tapforms.com.

August 22, 2016 at 7:35 PM #18983

Alan Tribe
    Participant

I don’t know if this is related, but using the compact database tool increases the database size from around 24.0MB to 35.1MB.

At some point, the given database size reverts to the smaller figure, but using the tool then increases it again.

I also have the iPhone excess storage size issues noted above.

August 22, 2016 at 8:35 PM #18984

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

Download the latest version for iOS and it will clear out any excess left over files in the app’s temp folder and possibly left around migration files that weren’t cleared after migration.

Ya, the database file size does increase sometimes. If you’ve done lots of deletions and had lots of attachments, then that will definitely reduce the size of the database. I wouldn’t worry about that too much. It’s just Couchbase Lite (the database engine I’m using) doing that. All Tap Forms does is issues a “compact” command to the database and it does the rest. So that temporary expansion is out of my control.

August 23, 2016 at 4:14 PM #19013

Alan Tribe
    Participant

I have version 5.0.2 (531). I can’t see a later one on iTunes?

August 23, 2016 at 4:19 PM #19015

Brendan
    Keymaster

5.0.2 is the latest for iOS. Alan, how much local storage is Tap Forms consuming?

August 23, 2016 at 5:13 PM #19018

Alan Tribe
    Participant

Tap Forms 229MB
    Documents & Data 185MB

The TF maintenance tool says the database size is 20.2MB – although when I compacted it, it went up to 35.1MB. :)

August 24, 2016 at 4:13 PM #19051

Alan Tribe
    Participant

Is the 229MB excessive, and if it is can I do anything about it?

August 28, 2016 at 4:25 PM #19132

Alan Tribe
    Participant

I’m still not sure if this is excessive or normal.

August 28, 2016 at 7:13 PM #19150

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m not really sure why it’s using that extra storage. It could be thumbnails that get generated if you have lots of photos.

You could try using an app like iExplorer from Macroplant to investigate what files are being stored. The latest update of Tap Forms removed some cache files and anything left over in the temporary folder upon app startup. Tap Forms 5 also doesn’t use the Documents & Data in the iCloud storage area anymore.

August 29, 2016 at 11:17 AM #19181

Alan Tribe
    Participant

I only have about twenty photos.

I’ll investigate iExplorer.

Many thanks.

August 29, 2016 at 2:49 PM #19191

Alan Tribe
    Participant

I downloaded iExplorer, but it doesn’t do anything that helps me. It doesn’t allow me to explore the local storage on my iPhone.

If I use it to look at a downloaded backup, it shows three db.sqlite documents and a folder of attachments. I can open these with a text editor but don’t understand the contents.

What am I meant to be doing?

My use of Tap Forms is quite straightforward. I only have it on my phone, so no syncing or need for IBM storage. Periodically, I create manual backups which I send to Dropbox.

A large part of my database was transferred in csv form because the migration feature failed.

I’m not technically expert so I don’t know what is relevant, but I’d certainly like to lower the size of Tap Forms on my phone.

August 29, 2016 at 10:22 PM #19195

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

What you want to do is navigate in the Apps area in iExplorer, then find Tap Forms and navigate into it. From there you should see the .tapforms documents and possibly some backup files if you’ve been creating them. Even if you upload them to Dropbox, they’re still on your device unless you explicitly delete them after.

Maybe send me a screenshot from iExplorer so I can see what you’re doing. You can email them to support@tapforms.com.

August 30, 2016 at 3:33 PM #19226

Alan Tribe
    Participant

iExplorer doesn’t show me anything on my device.

It opens on ‘Documents’ and shows me three folders:

Dropbox – which is a link to my Dropbox
    Downloads – which is empty
    Exp – which is empty

Apart from that, it just allows me to create new files, folders, etc., and to import from cloud services.

August 30, 2016 at 3:43 PM #19227

Alan Tribe
    Participant

Ah, I see there’s a version for Windows…

I never connect my device to a computer so assumed you meant the iExplorer phone app. I’ll have a go with the Windows version.

August 30, 2016 at 4:41 PM #19229

Alan Tribe
    Participant

OK – now that the penny has dropped, I have sent some screenshots.

August 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM #19232

Alan Tribe
    Participant

Problem resolved. Tap Forms was retaining a number of old version backups which weren’t visible so couldn’t be deleted. They have now been deleted remotely using iExplorer and IOS storage has halved.

Thank you, Brendan.

Viewing 26 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.