Ever releasing a version for the Android?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Ever releasing a version for the Android?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

vandykenf3
    Participant

Up until a few weeks ago, I had an iPhone3GS… I finally decided to switch to the Motorola Droid, as Verizon has far better coverage where I live.

I am really happy with my Droid, but I am misssing a few apps and features from my iPhone… Probably the biggest app/feature I am missing is Tap Forms. I didn’t realize how much I rely on this app until I no longer have access to it.

Are there any plans to release a version to the Android Market? I would be the first to buy it! My only other option is to buy an iPodTouch and carry it with me at all times… This is something I am hoping to avoid!

Any information you may have would be appreciated!

Thanks!

December 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM #3862

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello vandykenf3,

I’m sorry, but I have no plans on releasing an Android version of Tap Forms. I’ve never even seen an Android phone in the wild. I sure see a lot of iPhones though. So until things change, Tap Forms is iPhone and iPod touch only. I appreciate the fact that you found Tap Forms to be an invaluable tool for you. Tap Forms was also written in Objective-C and Android uses Java. It would pretty much be a complete rewrite for me to build an Android version. At the moment I’m very busy working on Tap Forms Mac so there’s no time for Android at this point in time. If the market changes however, I would consider building an Android version. But until then it’s iPhone and iPod touch only.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM #3863

vandykenf3
    Participant

Thanks for the info… Hopefully with the release of the Droid and some of the other Android phones that are in the news, the Android will gain popularity and would justify a re-write. If not, maybe Verizon will get the iPhone at some point, but I am not holding my breath on that!

Thanks again for putting together a great app! I will keep checking back for more information, and to find out what Tap Forms Mac is all about.

Fred

February 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM #5909

wvperegrine
    Participant

I’m also letting go of an iPhone in favor of Android. For now, TapForms is one of only two or three apps I like so much on the iPhone that I will keep the iPhone and power it up just for these few things. You know you’ve written a useful program when people will put up with an inconvenience like that, Brendan!

February 4, 2013 at 2:16 AM #5912

Brendan
    Keymaster

Thanks!

I’m very sorry that I’m not going to make an Android version of Tap Forms. I have too much time and energy invested in iOS to switch now. I’m not really all that crazy about the Android UI in any case. I’ve played around with it from others who have them and in stores and it just doesn’t feel right to me. Too sluggish and choppy for the most part and not buttery smooth like iOS. In fact, I felt the same way after playing with a Microsoft Surface tablet a couple weeks ago. That main view of tiles gets jerky when you scroll it left and right. Probably because so much is going on with updating those live tiles. I haven’t had a chance to play with one of the phones yet though.

In any case I appreciate the fact that you’re keeping your iPhone around so that you can use Tap Forms still. That means a lot to me and I thank you for that.

Brendan

September 24, 2013 at 3:38 AM #6743

Rollingpapar
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Have you changed you mind regarding Android and Microsoft versions of Tap forms?
    Cheers,

Al

September 24, 2013 at 4:29 AM #6744

wvperegrine
    Participant

Al, I understand and respect Brendan’s choice not to program for Android. I still like Tap Forms a lot, but on Android I’m happily using Sailforms. Available from the Google Play Store, not available for iOS, so it isn’t competition for Brendan and I hope it’s OK to mention it here.

I am still using Tap Forms on that old iPhone, by the way!

Jeff

September 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM #6747

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Al,

I’m sorry but I’m still not making an Android version of Tap Forms.

Being a one-man shop leaves me with no time to devote to Android. I’ve got too many things that I need to add to Tap Forms for iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.