Envelope Sizes

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

is there a way of adding standard DIN-norm envelopes to the print format? I am missing the B6 on the list and am not sure how to fill that in. Thanks.

Regards,
    Kimberley

October 16, 2018 at 4:49 PM #31064

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kimberly,

The list of paper sizes comes from the printer driver itself. Do you see that paper size in other apps? I don’t have a function to create custom sizes right now.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 16, 2018 at 11:26 PM #31067

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Then I guess I’ll have to adjust my printer. The size is just a little bit bigger than A5 (so that it can fit A5 contents). Thanks for answering so quickly.

Regards,
    Kimberley

December 15, 2018 at 6:48 AM #32687

jonny B
    Participant

Hi Brendan

Firstly, like everyone i guess, many thanks for the great little database app, just what i’ve been looking for for many years. I found you last year so i’m only a recent convert :)

I need to print on weird sized cards etc, and while printers can generally accept custom paper sizes (see the lower section on attached “papersize menu in Tap Forms print dialog”) these do not appear on your menu (see “papersize menu in layout properties”).

So just a feature request to have custom sizes (which the system already knows about) appear in the paper size menu for layouts please i’ll be even happier!

Thanks again!

jonny

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    December 15, 2018 at 11:54 AM #32697

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jonny,

What printer are you using that gives you all of these options? Maybe I can download the driver, even though I don’t have that printer and see if I can get Tap Forms to include those other sizes. I’m just using a bit of code which fetches all the sizes and their names from the printer driver and displaying them in a popup menu. I don’t know if the system uses that same technique to get the list of paper sizes on the Print dialogue.

December 15, 2018 at 12:23 PM #32700

jonny B
    Participant

Hi Brendan, thanks for the reply!

It’s a spanky new HP thing (HP ENVY Photo 6230), curiously initially it didn’t show all those size options until i manually re-installed the HP driver (think it was too busy trying to harvest my personal data and sell me ink on the initial install!)

Your page size menu does show all of the built in ones i think, just not grouped by page size.

I meant to annotate that system screen-shot, the custom paper sizes i’m after are the ones near the bottom, 13.5 cards, 14cm envelopes etc. and those appear on every application print dialog including the Tap Forms one, so must be available from the print api i would have thought (i’ve not coded Mac OS applications for a very long time! Guess it’s somewhere near here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nsprintinfo maybe? ;)

It’s not the end of the world (of course), i can set the layout to use a larger page size than i need and use rulers etc, but it’s a bit approximate…

Thanks again!

December 15, 2018 at 9:52 PM #32707

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, NSPrintInfo is something I do already use.

But it appears that getting the list of custom paper sizes is not directly supported in macOS. That is, not given direct access to developers.

At least this question from 2 years ago on Stack Overflow seems to suggest that:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35741210/objective-c-get-list-of-all-custom-papers

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.