Encryption Update

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Katie Stafford
    Participant

I am new to Tap Forms and just want to make sure that the cloud-based sync service is a secure means of transferring and storing sensitive client data. There are older discussions about this but I think changes have been made since then both in Tap Forms and at IBM’s Cloudant service. Based on the current Cloudant documentation, it sounds like the data is encrypted on their end:

Security, Encryption, and Compliance

All plans are provided on servers with at-rest disk encryption. Access is encrypted over a network connection by using HTTPS. For more detail, see DBaaS Security.

The plans also offer Security Compliance Certification. HIPAA compliance requires a single-tenant environment, so request this environment before provisioning.

So if I turn on encryption via the Tap Forms Security Preferences and enable cloud sync, can I be assured that my data is secure?

Thanks!

PS. I have been searching for a long time for such a versatile, easy-to-use database program for Macs – this looks great! There are a number of additional features I’d love to see, of course, but finally I have found a program worth working with.

January 5, 2017 at 6:36 PM #20740

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Katie,

Can you point me to the link to that information? I haven’t heard of any changes to the Cloudant multi-tenant server with regards to encryption. As far as I know, it’s not encrypted. However, I’m definitely not “in the loop” with regards to what they’re doing, so I suppose it’s possible.

I’m glad that you’re liking Tap Forms!

Brendan

January 5, 2017 at 10:03 PM #20745

Katie Stafford
    Participant

Ah, the documentation I read was referring to the Bluemix service, not DBaaS:
    https://docs.cloudant.com/bluemix.html

So does this mean it is still likely that data stored by Tap Forms 5 on the cloud is unencrypted?

January 6, 2017 at 12:21 AM #20748

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s correct. Although Cloudant did tell me at one point they were working on something to change that, but I never heard anything back from them on that. I am still working on Apple’s CloudKit integration. Hopefully it will work and that’s basically storing the data in iCloud, so we’ll see if I can get that working. And of course, Apple does encrypt data at rest. So hang in there.

January 6, 2017 at 12:21 AM #20749

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh, and you can certainly use the Nearby sync option in the meantime. No cloud account required.

January 6, 2017 at 7:22 AM #20753

footlooseboss
    Participant

I am still working on Apple’s CloudKit integration … that’s basically storing the data in iCloud

woohoo!

January 7, 2017 at 8:33 AM #20756

footlooseboss
    Participant

storing the data in iCloud

MyStuff2 seems to have done it well

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.