Encryption Question?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

tonyt
    Participant

Hi

I have my database syncing fine without encryption turned on although I have set an encryption key in order for sync to work properly.

If I turn on encryption, will ALL my data held in the cloud then be encrypted by TapForms, or just the update files; or do I have to start again from scratch, and if so, HOW?

Cheers

tonyt

May 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM #10082

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

If iCloud sync is working fine for you now, then you don’t need to start again from scratch if you decide to encrypt the local database. Or at least you shouldn’t have to. In any case, no, not all of your data will be encrypted in iCloud by doing that. The only data that’s encrypted before being uploaded to iCloud is the actual data that you enter into your database. Any external file such as photos, drawings, audio recordings, or file attachments are not encrypted, even if you encrypt the local database. Choosing to encrypt the database will just encrypt the entirety of the local database that is used to store your main data on each copy of Tap Forms. So you can still have for example, your iPhone’s database encrypted but not your Mac’s. Sync will still work as long as the encryption keys are identical on all devices.

Thanks!

Brendan

May 8, 2014 at 10:58 PM #10089

tonyt
    Participant

Hi Brendan

So whatever I do my main data in the cloud is not TF encrypted, only whatever the cloud does. I wanted to double protect ALL of my data, not just the upload alteration files. I am not worried about photos, drawings, etc….
    Is this correct, or have I misunderstood AGAIN?

Cheers

tony

May 9, 2014 at 1:38 AM #10090

tonyt
    Participant

MAYBE as the same encryption key has to be entered on all devices for sync to work properly, TForms IS encrypting what goes to the cloud. Activating the encryption key on one device just encrypts that device?
    Still – what happens to the whole database already in the cloud? ( see above post ).
    Cheers
    tony

May 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM #10093

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

Tap Forms will encrypt the data that’s sent up to iCloud. Only the change files. Now, if it’s the first time you’ve ever uploaded to iCloud, then essentially the entire database is copied (encrypted) up to iCloud. And then anytime you add additional data to your local database and then upload to iCloud, that data will be encrypted before being transmitted to iCloud.

It’s completely independent of whether or not you have your local database encrypted. So you don’t have to have your local database encrypted if you don’t want to have to type the encryption key every time you launch Tap Forms.

Please note that in the next update for iOS, I’ve enabled the encryption key to utilize the Auto-Lock setting. What that means is you can have Tap Forms not prompt you for an encryption key for up to 30 minutes after you exited the app. That’ll make things like switching between apps, copying and pasting, etc. a much more seamless process.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.