Encrypted data has been corrupted

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

meddle
    Participant

Hi,

Hope someone can help me out. I had to restore my Iphone recently (IOS4) and re-installed Tapforms and restored my database through syncdocs. Everything looked ok except that when I input my encryption password for certain databases certain fields have been corrupted. The fields that corrupted were all encrypted and now it displays nothing but gibberish. Please tell me there is an easy fix for this as I had hundreds of private keys and passwords hidden here.

I have tried uninstalling Tapforms and then repeating the process but the same thing happens.

Any help would be really appreciated.

July 1, 2010 at 8:32 PM #4131

Brendan
    Keymaster

Have you used the same encryption key when you set it again after doing the re-install and then the restore? If you use a different key than what you used to originally encrypt the data, this can happen.

Please try again with the original key and let me know what happens. After you re-install and restore, the Tools tab will have “Set Encryption Key”. If it says that, you’ll know that you have to set the encryption key to the original. After that, it will say “Change Encryption Key”. But you won’t want to change it until you can verify your data is being decrypted properly with the original key. You don’t have to change it, I was just pointing out the difference between when the key is known by Tap Forms and when it isn’t. As an FYI, the encryption key is itself encrypted and stored in the iPhone’s keychain.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM #4132

meddle
    Participant

Thanks Brandan, following your steps has worked a treat. I was starting to worry I had lost hours of work there. All is now restored and well. Many thanks.

If I could ask also do you have any plans at a later date to either develop folders for the forms or the ability to hide forms within the categories so that when you are on the main screen you do not have to scroll through all the different forms to find the one needed. I would find it less cluttered if I had just a list of the categories with perhaps a button which expands the category to show the forms?

Cheers,

meddle

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.