Embed line ending in a calculated text field?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Embed line ending in a calculated text field?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Cliff Tarrance
    Participant

Hey, I’m trying to do something and I don’t know if my approach is the best, but here’s what I’m trying.

I have a form with addresses (with separate fields for names and address components). I want to assemble/concatenate all the name and address elements into a calculated ‘label’ field which would then be printed on mailing labels.

So I’m trying to figure out if I can do something like:

FirstName + ” ” + LastName + <Return> +
    StreetAddress + <Return> +
    City + “, ” + State + ” ” + Zip

Is there some way to code in the <Return> characters to make this work? If so, I haven’t stumbled onto it.

Thanks

November 23, 2015 at 1:03 PM #15299

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Cliff,

If you type “\r” (including the double-quotes) you’ll get a Return character in the result.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM #15300

Cliff Tarrance
    Participant

Aha! Thanks, that’s great!

December 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM #15400

Marilyn Hume
    Participant

So how do you do all of this? I am trying to do the same thing (get the fields on the same line with just a comma between. But I need this spelled out a little further. Where would you put the label field that Cliff shows above?

I need step by step! Thanks!

December 4, 2015 at 1:09 PM #15401

Cliff Tarrance
    Participant

Hi Marilyn,

I’ve attached a screenshot of my formula, but it sounds like you are trying to do something a little different.

I actually wanted the fields on different lines. So that’s why I wanted the way to insert a carriage return, as Brendan explained by using the string “\r” to represent the end of each line.

I suppose if you used “, ” (including the quotation marks) that should put the fields on one line separated by commas.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    December 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM #15404

Marilyn Hume
    Participant

That’s exactly what i want to do, but where do I find the screen to edit the formula? Thanks!

December 4, 2015 at 1:23 PM #15405

Cliff Tarrance
    Participant

1) Click on the Form button in the toolbar to show the Form and Fields lists.
    2) Click on the Fields tab
    3) Select the field that you want to have as a calculation
    4) Be sure the field Type popup is set to calculation
    5) Click the Edit Formula button
    6) In the formula panel, set the result type to text
    7) Enter the formula, using the field list and typing in the right side of the panel

Hope that helps!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    December 4, 2015 at 1:39 PM #15407

Marilyn Hume
    Participant

So how do you do all of this? I am trying to do the same thing (get the fields on the same line with just a comma between. But I need this spelled out a little further. Where would you put the label field that Cliff shows above?

I need step by step! Thanks!

Thanks! That worked!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.