Email field autofill emailaddress

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Brecht DHeere
    Participant

Hi,

I created a email field in a record because I would like to send the content of a textfield to a student. When I create a new lesson for this student I would like to email the content from that new record but I have to fill in the students emailaddress again before I can click it to open my mailprogram. Can I make it autofill the emailaddress for each new record I create?

October 21, 2020 at 9:41 AM #42337

Daniel Leu
    Participant

If the new record is a child record, then you can use a calculation field to set the email address in the child record to the one of the parent record. This way, you won’t have to copy&paste it.

Otherwise, you could use a script to handle this.

October 21, 2020 at 11:15 PM #42345

Brendan
    Keymaster

Another possible technique might be to use a Website Address field with a specially designed URL in it.

For example:

mailto:[Email]?subject=[Subject Field]&body=[Body Field]

Then when you click on the website button beside the website address field, your mail program should launch with the field values filled in from the record. This works because on a Website Address field, when you click on it, Tap Forms looks for the field names within square brackets and then substitutes the values from those fields into the URL.

You can generate MailTo links easily here:

https://mailtolink.me

October 21, 2020 at 11:17 PM #42348

Brendan
    Keymaster

Oh, you could also set that specially formulated URL as the Default Value for the Website Address field so the whenever you add a new record, it’s ready and waiting to be clicked with whatever the new values were in that record.

October 22, 2020 at 7:52 AM #42360

Brecht DHeere
    Participant

Thank you Daniel, however, I don’t understand what calculation I need to fill in.

Thank you Brendan: What if I have more than one field that needs to be send by email from that record?

October 22, 2020 at 8:45 AM #42362

Daniel Leu
    Participant

For the calculation field, you just select the email address of the parent record.

October 22, 2020 at 9:17 AM #42364

Brecht DHeere
    Participant

OK, but what is the calculation formula?

October 22, 2020 at 9:32 PM #42367

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

If you have a Link to Form field created in the “Student” form and link it to a “Lesson” form (the one with the contents you wish to email). When you create the Link to Form field in the Student form, make sure you tick “show inverse relationship” and have it set to “one to many” (should be the default).

Then go to your Lesson form and create a new Calculation field. On the left side of the calculation editor you’ll see a list of fields from the Lesson form as well as the Student form. Since you’re on the other side of the one to many form, it’ll let you select the individual field and duplicate it’s contents from the parent form into the child.

I have a video on link to form fields that covers an example of doing something like this.

October 23, 2020 at 11:37 AM #42376

Brendan
    Keymaster

Brecht,

You can just add as many [Field A], [Field B], etc. as you need in the URL to be injected into the email.

October 26, 2020 at 7:59 AM #42423

Brecht DHeere
    Participant

@Sam: That worked :)

@Brendan: [Field B] is directly pasted after [Field A] in the mail. How can I have some space (empty lines) between them. And is it also possible to paste the field names in the mail? Sorry, and can this also be done with a ‘button’ in a custom lay-out?

October 27, 2020 at 4:32 AM #42429

Brecht DHeere
    Participant

@Brendan: I figured it out already. New line in mailto: = %0A

The button thing is not working because I don’t know if it is possible to send email with a script. But I’m using the globe of the Website Address field in my new layout as a button and that works fine :)

October 28, 2020 at 10:41 PM #42437

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Brecht,

I’m glad you figured out the encoding of the newline.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.